Chapter 132: A Concussion

"Why haven't we heard anything yet?" Chase questions for what seems like the millionth time, now at officially 33 minutes since Ryan had arrived, which was 53 minutes of Alex having gone through those words without a single word to be shared since.

"Do you know the definition of patience?" Ryan wonders, as he tries to waste time away with a game on his phone. It was a factor that in 10 rounds played, he had only won two, unable to fully concentrate with his mind split between worry for Alex and being there for Chase.

"That's why I get through the field quicker than you do at Talladega." Ryan could only roll his eyes, but admittedly chuckled a little at the joke. It was nice to know despite how worried they both felt, a joke could be cracked between them. 

The doors open, causing both of their attention, as they see a familiar face standing there. There was a initial look of shock as the eyes locked with Ryan's, though the emotion did not last long. Immediately, it was traded by a look of feeling lost and disappointment, only causing the worry of the pair to increase more in response.

"Alex..." Chase starts as he keeps his eyes locked on him, reaching to clasp his hand with his own. 

"I need to call Rick," he says quietly as he clutches a piece of paper in his other hand. "I need to forward this to him, followed by NASCAR. I need to make an appointmen-"

"What did they say?" Chase knew the trail of events suggested by Alex could be the result of any type of diagnosis. The immediate thought was what they predicted, by the quiet response had Chase's worry increasing and conjuring up other possible reasons why Alex was feeling the way he was.

"Without a shadow of a doubt, my symptoms of caused by a concussion sustained in the wreck..." Chase clutches the hand tighter, pulling Alex into a hug as he holds him. As he does so, Ryan slips the piece of paper and phone from his hands. "I just want to go home. The tests just made me worse - my head is pounding, I feel like I'm going to throw up." 

"Of course..." Chase slowly leads him towards the doorway with Ryan following behind as they walk outside. "Rya-"

"I'll meet you both at the house, grabbing some food on the way home. You take care of him, Chase...."

Ryan watches as the pair get in Chase's Tahoe, before heading out of the parking lot. He sits in the bronco, looking at the phone and piece of paper that laid before him.

He knew Alex's password. It was very simple at that - there were only four digits it could be knowing him. Well, there were two options. 4855 was the obvious first one, matching the numbers ran on his racecars. However, when that didn't work, he followed his gut and used the other two favorite numbers - 0912. 

He took a photo of the document, which was from the doctor stating the diagnosis of a concussion. He created a new chat message, attaching the image. He then selected the necessary people to receive, the ones he'd want to know if the situation was reversed - the bosses Rick and Jeff, his PR rep, crew chief.  Taking a deep breath, Ryan could only debate what to type with the attached image.

"I wasn't feeling right after the test today with Jimmie so I went to get checked out," was how he began the message, following the same lines as to what Alex had sent to Chase. "They say I have a concussion. I will keep you posted on how I am doing." He then remembered the emotions on Alex's face, and kept following his gut in what to type. "I'd appreciate some space to focus on healing, and everything. I'll talk to you when I can. I'll get Chase to drop off the document tomorrow, as well as the copy for NASCAR." 

Ryan almost didn't send the message, wondering if curiosity would be increased with Chase dropping it off. However, it would save Alex a trip out of the house - and Chase could simply say he picked it up on the way by the house. 

"Appointment...." Ryan says out loud, as he remembers the words that Alex said once he came out of the doors. He flips to the next sheet of paper, seeing a phone number and doctor's name. He started to dial the number, but then froze as he glanced between the document and Alex's phone. He wanted to do what he could to help take care of him. He knew Chase was better at offering comfort, so he wanted to handle the forgotten details. However, he figured this one would be best to ask for permission about.

He sets the documents in the passenger seat with the phone, putting the key in the ignition. He takes a deep breath, knowing it wasn't the worst situation - but certainly something none of them wanted. However, he was a racecar driver. He knew the emotions. He knew this wasn't going to be a fun time. 

As he turned the key and headed out of the parking lot, he knew he was fully on-board in doing whatever it took to help.