Chapter 36: "I wasn't talking about the championship...."

Alex's POV

Sunday, November 7 – Phoenix Raceway

I could only shake my head as I climbed out of the car after the race.

I was proud of the season we had just put together. It was pretty amazing from start to finish, and you could not hang your head on making the playoffs, and scoring four victories in a year. Not bad for a hack, right?

Though I will admit. It sucked to come home to my new home track, and watch us struggle all weekend long. While my teammates ran inside the top-10 all race long, pretty much actually top-five, I was stuck around the late teens – except for that pit strategy attempt courtesy of Greg. What does that say for us? It doesn't matter if you make the Championship 4 and run like that.

I was happy for Kyle, though. After the season he had and all the victories, he absolutely deserved to be the champion. I also know behind the scenes how much he worked to get to where he is, on a personal and professional standpoint, and hearing there were tears afterwards, you could tell it was worth it. One day, Alex, one day...

Though on the flip side, my heart ached for Chase. I know how much confidence he entered this weekend with, and I know how excited he was about the chance to go back-to-back. Sure, he had a great run staying up there all day, but it sucks to watch him come up just that short of the title. No doubt that's a kick in the balls.

Being the good teammate, I knew – and don't get me wrong, wanted to as he's a friend – congratulate Kyle on the championship. Though I also wanted to check-in with Chase and see how he was, make sure he wasn't kicking himself royally in the ass for it as he has done before. He had nothing to hang his head on this year.

I make my way down pit road, knowing where he had stopped, deciding that he would be my first stop on the way. Though I could not help but stop and freeze in seeing who had made their way over to him first.

"It was fun racing there at the end," I hear Ryan say to him with a fist-pump. "Nice job this season."

My heart sank immediately. I tried to be strong, to not think anything of it, to remember what Chase had kept telling me, assuring me in how much he loved me and that the past was that. However, in that moment, it was like everything flashed before me in watching them interact together.

"I was doing everything to hold you off there," Chase says back in response. "Hopefully we're racing each other for a championship next year." Um, isn't the perfect scenario having all four of our own team cars in the final four? Wasn't that the goal and objective, with nobody else allowed?

"I like the sounds of that," and of course you would. "I'll see you this winter, right?"

"I'm sure we'll find some time." My heart sank that much more in hearing that. I had been hoping it'd be an off-season full of moments for us both, and only us both. Wasn't that the idea? We were supposed to take advantage of it, grow closer. Maybe that's what he meant in finding time – because he'd be busy with me. Why am I letting myself flip out this way right now?

"We always do. I also meant what I said yesterday." Wait, they spent time together yesterday, too? I can't hide it – jealousy hit right away in hearing those words. Sure, I seen him yesterday and we spent the Xfinity Series race together, and then some other time. However, knowing they also spent time, it wasn't comforting.

"I know..."

I wonder what he said yesterday, and was it wrong that if they spent together, I expected Chase to tell me? I mean, he used to always tell me about their interactions, in the first initial weeks afterwards. That's how we grew close, by me being the comforting source for him. Where did that go?