9.

Wardell Stephen Curry.
Oakland, CA.

[Summer 2006.]

The summer is finally here and my girlfriend and I are gonna make the most of it before college starts. She's gonna be doing her thing with fashion and I'll obviously be playing basketball for the Davidson Wildcats.

Alani and I have been planning to go to the same college since 8th grade but the fact that we're actually doing it is crazy.

As for today, we're actually on our way to a tattoo shop here in Charlotte to get matching tattoos.

"Wardell, I'm nervous." Alani whines in the passenger seat.

"It won't be that bad, Ally. Relax, I'll be by your side the entire time, okay." I placed my free hand on her thigh in attempts to comfort her.

"What are we even gonna get?" She asks. "Our initials or a basketball or something?"

"I don't know. Something meaningful hopefully." I replied.

I loved hanging out with Alani because she's so adventurous. I'm usually the discipled one so we kind of balance each other out.

"It has to be meaningful because your mom is gonna kill us when she sees it."

We'll have to deal with her later.

"Wardell, are you sure you wanna do this? Your mom already dislikes me and we don't need to give her another reason to."

I've loved Alani since I was 5 years old and I can't see myself loving anyone else. I just wish my mom could see that. This is the girl I want to spend the rest of my life with.

"I love you but I don't wanna be the reason you have a bad relationship with your mom." Alani expresses as I park in front of the tattoo shop.

"I understand that but my mom doesn't get to see the side of you that I see. You're human, you make mistakes but you've also been able to grow from them which is why I love you so much. You've been by my side through everything, and I know we're young but I can't see myself with anyone but you." I confessed while holding her hands in mine.

"Don't make me cry right now. This was supposed to be a fun day." She chuckled.

That smile. She's the most beautiful girl in the world.

"You have such a pure soul. Sometimes I feel like I don't deserve you." Alani sniffles. "How does someone like me end up with someone like you?"

"We're made for each other. Nobody can be ever take that away from us, okay." I wiped the tears that were now falling down her face. "Not even my mom."

She's hasn't had the easiest life, you know, with her dad abandoning them like that, her mom working multiple jobs to keep the family going. And on top of that, she had to deal with my mom criticising her all the time. I can't begin to imagine what that must feel like. But my baby is strong, there's nothing that can break her.