1.

Alani Castillo- Graham
Oakland, California.
April 2019.

It's been 10 years since I've last heard from Wardell or Steph as they call him these days. Even though we went our separate ways, I always made sure to stay up to date with his career. I was his biggest supporter then and I wasn't going to stop being that just because we aren't together anymore.

Not gonna lie, watching Wardell build this fairytale life with Ayesha hurt me to the core. I was still hoping he'd change his mind one day and start doing things his way but I guess he's never gonna change and he'll always do as his momma says.

After college, I moved to Los Angeles to purse a career in fashion. Things were slow for a couple of years before I met my manager Dorion. He helped me pave my way in this industry and I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for him. Now I'm here in the Bay, getting ready to open my first store, L'Agence. It's been an online store for the past 7 years and I'm ready to open my first walk-in store. It's ironic how such a milestone in my career is happening in the same city Wardell lives in. In my defence though, opening my store in Oakland wasn't my first choice. When we first launched, the only clothing manufacturer who was willing to work with me was based in Oakland so I had no other choice. I wanted to be involved in every creative aspect of this brand so this was the only way to do it. I know it's going to become harder to avoid Wardell now that I'm living here but I'll try my best. His mother always said that I was the only one who had the power to uproot his life and I'd hate to prove her right. I miss him but seeing him happy, living his best life is enough for me.

I think.

Moving on, today was the day my husband would be served with divorce papers. Crazy opening sentence, I know. I met Wesley Graham after I moved to LA. He was that guy my mother prayed I brought home. While he was making big money in the software development industry, I was focused on my fashion and that's how it was most of our marriage. We were always in different cities, we never really got to see each other and I knew that I didn't want this type of life anymore.

I loved Wes but I couldn't keep this facade up any longer. I deserved to be loved completely. I deserved happiness. I can't find that with Wesley because I know who my heart belongs to. This divorce should be quick and easy. Wesley comes from a wealthy family so I signed a prenup to prove I was there for love and not his money.

"Mrs. Graham, are you sure you want to go through with this?" My lawyer asked over the Skype call. He always looked out for my best interest.

"I'm sure. Don't worry, this is for the best." I gave a reassuring smile. "Plus, I just moved to a whole different city. No marriage can survive that, Keith."

He lets out a long sigh. "I know, but surely you and Mr. Graham can work something out. If you really love each other you'll find a way to make it work."

"You have a valid point there, Keith but I stopped being IN- LOVE with Wes a long time ago. It's time we both moved on and you can't convince me otherwise." I giggled. Keith got the message and ended our conversation right there.

I turned my laptop off and carried on with my work day. It's still some time left in the day for me to go furniture shopping, make this house feel more like a home.

Hours later.

I found the cutest furniture shop in downtown San Francisco. I found a coffee table that will look good in my lounge. I picked some picture frames out to hang some photos in. Baby pictures, pictures with my mom and sister, my first professional photo shoot, first day of school, prom with Wardell, graduation with Wardell, first day of college with Wardell. He'll always be apart of me, it's so hard to escape him.

"Alani Graham?" I heard a soft voice from behind me.

I turned around and saw one of my friends from college. "Oh my gosh, Tiana! No way!" I said, embracing her in a big hug. She looks so much different since I saw her last. She had more of an athletic build and long blue hair.

"How long has it been? Like 10 years?" Tiana takes a step back to fully examine me. "You're still as gorgeous as ever Lani." I smiled at the nickname she gave me. Tiana and I were on the cheer team together at Davidson. Outside of Wardell, she was my closest friend.

"Look at you girl." I admired her, making her blush lightly.

"What are doing in San Francisco?" She asked.

"Girl, I just moved here about a month ago, trying to get settled and stuff." I motioned towards my shopping cart.

"That's great. You'll love it here." She smiled. "I see you're doing great things in the fashion industry. Making the whole Davidson '09 cheer team proud."

"Thank you, Tee. That means a lot." I say. "But what have you been doing?" I asked, swaying the conversation to her. Last time I seen her was graduation day in 2010.

"I work for the Warriors as a team photographer now. The pay is good plus I get to travel with the team so I'm happy." She smiled.

The Warriors? Wardell's team.

"Championship team? You think they'll three-peat this year?" I giggled.

"Girl yes! Are you still talking to Stephen? I know how close y'all were." She asked. I cleared my throat. Sometimes I don't even know how to answer this question.

"No, we haven't actually." I say, and Tiana's eyes widen. "I moved to LA after graduation and we kinda grew apart I guess. He's doing his thing with basketball and I'm proud of him." I lied. I swear I've recited this sentence so many times, it's engraved in my mind now.

"Oh, I didn't know that. Y'all looked like a solid pair. You were always repping his jersey at the games and he was always at our cheer competitions." She says, looking disappointed.

"Life happens, I guess." I laughed to keep myself from crying. "But tell me about you and Jackson. Are y'all still together? Y'all were ultimate goals back in the day."

"Yeah we are, crazy ain't it." She laughed when she saw the shocked expression on my face. "We got married and now we have 2 kids together." She explains and I couldn't be more happy for her.

"That's really great news." I smiled.

"And you? Where's your millionaire hubby at?" She nudges my shoulder. "I can't believe, Alani 'The Player' actually settled down." She laughs, she did not just say I was a player. I mean, I was for a little bit. Wardell dumped me for Ayesha after all.

"That's a story for another day, girl." I said after seeing i was next in line. "Anyways, I'm so glad I saw you. We should hang out."

"Definitely." I smiled and handed her my phone to put her number in.

"Well, I guess we'll spill the rest of this tea again soon, Lani."

I said my final goodbyes to Tiana and continued shopping.

This day was so crazy.

~~~

Authors note:
First chapter complete. Hope y'all feeling the vibe of where the book is heading. Don't forget to vote and comment. 💕💕