Prologue

Alani Castillo
_ July 2009.
NBA Draft, NYC.

"What do you mean I can't come with you?" I asked my best friend Wardell who declared for the NBA draft this year. We flew up here from Charlotte, just for him to tell me I can't be there to celebrate this huge accomplishment with him.

"Ally, it's nothing personal but you know how my parents feel about our friendship." He explains while looking down. "Plus, Ayesha's gonna be there so I don't want any drama."

"What?" I widened my eyes in shock. "We've known each other our whole lives and you choose her over me?"

Wardell sighs and reaches for my hand. "I'm not choosing her over you. I'm just trying to keep the peace."

I let out a deep breath. I can't believe this is actually happening. "I've been here by your side this entire time and you wanna stand here and tell me about keeping the peace. Why don't we be real here for a second, Wardell." I snatch my hand away from his. "The only reason why you don't what me down there with you is because you don't want your little girlfriend to find out about me. You feel embarrassed because I'm not the church girl your parents want for you, right?"

He dipped his head in embarrassment. I was right. I will never be good enough for him, no matter how hard I try.

"It was one little slip up, Wardell. I made one mistake and everyone is crucifying me for it." I tried to explain through the tears that were about to fall down my cheeks.

"One mistake that almost cost us our relationship, Alani." He argues. "Remember that."

"I know that, but can't everyone see that you forgave me already and we can all move past all of this." I plead. "I've obviously changed since then, Delly."

"My parents don't want to hear it and you know I can't go against what they say."

"Is this how you'll be for the rest of your life? Listening to everything your parents say and not going after what you want?" I asked him, eager to know his answer. Wardell and I were very alike, but clearly he was the goody two shoes. I was more carefree, or out of control as his mother would put it. Wardell did everything by the book, while I just lived life, which landed me in trouble sometimes.

"God says-"

"To obey your parents, I know." I cut him off. "But what do YOU want?"

I step closer to him and put my hand on his chest, feeling his racing heart beat. "You feel that? You can't fault that. Our hearts beat for each other and it doesn't matter if your parents want Ayesha to be your future wife, your heart will always belong to me and mine to you." I finished and stared into his hazel eyes. That's one of the reasons I fell in love with him, I could always tell how he was feeling by just one look.

"Alani, I love you." He says, tracing my cheek with his thumb. "No matter what happens, I'll always love you. It'll always be you."

"I love you more, Wardell."

"I don't want this to be goodbye. How am I supposed to live without you?" He pulls me into a tight hug.

"I don't want to say goodbye to you either, but I also don't wanna be your secret forever. I don't deserve that."

He nodded in agreement. "I know." He sighed. "We'll find our way back to each other. I just know it."

"I hope we do."

~

Authors Note:
Prologue complete. Let me know what y'all think so far. My first book ever so take it easy on ya girl.