Forty Three// Too Much To Ask

(i urge u to listen to the song while reading)

May 4, 2015

C A L U M

It's taken me all day to come to the conclusion that I need to apologize to Aspen. It was absolute shit what I did to her. I left her there alone with her thoughts like a dickhead. I'm so stupid.

My clenched fist knocks on Aspen's door three times. I can hear melow music playing through the door and I smile in relief. That means Chloe isn't here. Chloe doesn't listen to the music Aspen does and she gets pissed whenever her little sister plays her music. So Aspen only plays her stuff out loud when her sister isn't home.

"Who is it?" She yells politely through the door, barely being heard over the music.

"It's Calum. Let me in." I say softly.

"No."

"Aspen, I'm so sorry I left you at the bookshop. You have no idea how bad I feel." I speak what my heart is telling me.

"You're a dick."

"Please let me in, Aspen." I wiggle the doorknob to see that it's indeed locked like I had suspected.

"Why should I?"

"Because you're my chummy..." I sigh.

It takes a moment, but I can hear the lock turning over from the other side of the door. I smile to myself, and stuff my hands in my pockets while I wait for her to open the door. Aspen opens the door, the music increasing involume, and I step inside. The beat of the smooth and inticing song makes me want to dance, and the singer's voice is so delicate and groovy. It has almost a spooky feel to it and I love it.

"What band is this?"

"Arctic Monkeys. The song is Crying Lightning." She says bitterly, and faces away from me, walking into the living room to get her notebook that I'm guessing she's been writing in, and putting it in her room. I shut the front door and wait until she comes back. She doesnt look at me, just like earlier this morning, as she plops herself down onto the living room couch and pats the spot next to her. I sit where she patted the cushion.

"I'm sorry that I just left you like that Aspen. I didn't know what to say." I tell her, turning towards her, her arms crossed as she stares with a blank expression down at her lap.

"It's fine."

"No, it's not-"

"Calum, just drop it okay? Forget I even asked that dumb question in the first place." Aspen's blank expression turns into a scowl.

"But, I don't wan-"

"Calum." She says softly, her words pained, green eyes meeting mine. "Just... Just listen to the music okay? Don't talk. Please?"

I nod, and watch as she scoots down the couch, and I think it's because she's trying to get away from me, but then I see her starting to lay down. The side of her head lays on my thigh, making me smile. My fingers meet her hair, stroking it tenderly, and her eyes close in satisfaction as she takes in a deep breath from her nose.

Just seconds ago she was mad at me and now she's using my lap as a pillow. The mood is changed quickly, and I love it.

The song still playing intensifies, the singer's voice getting louder, and then it soon ends after that, followed by another smooth tune.

"Knee Socks. This one is great, Calum, listen." She leans over closer to the coffee table and clicks the volume up button on her bluetooth speaker that resembles a pill. Her head falls back into my lap, and I smile down at her once again.