Twenty Eight// Douche

March 4, 2015 (same day)

C A L U M

Aspen clings on to me for dear life as we walk down the steps, her sobs mixed, with mine, ringing throughout the church. Instead of taking her back to her seat with Raff, I lead her outside of the room, and into the hallway. Holding her all the way down, we both sit on the floor, leaning against the wall.

My mouth opens to say some words of comfort to her, but the door to the theater/church swings open, revealing her boyfriend. The only thing I can think of is the two songs I wrote the night Aspen came over. The boys and I all worked on the music together, bringing it together with the lyrics. They turned out great. But one is definitely directed towards Raff.

"Hey, pal, why don't you just go back inside? I'll take care of my girlfriend." Raff says, crossing his arms and puffing out his chest.

"Why are y-you even acting l-like this?" I ask, my voice shaky because of my crying. It kills me to cry in front of someone I'm trying to act superior to. Crying and mushy feelings aren't manly. "Aspen's grandmother has died. This is her funeral. And you're on your fucking phone."

Letting go of Aspen, I stand up and wipe my sobs away, leaving hiccupy breaths.

"At least I'm not sobbing like a pussy." He spits.

"Raff, b-be quiet." Aspen pronounces, sticking up for me. It takes all of me not to smile. "Calum's been by my side. It's nine o'clock at night, I'm crying my heart out in my car in a gas station parking lot. You're the first one I call, and you don't answer."

"Baby, I told you, I was at work."

I don't want to admit it, but my blood boils with envy as he calls her baby. More than once the word babe or baby has slipped out of my mouth when I've talked to Aspen before, and seeing him do it with no care starts to piss me off. And the way he talks to his baby. Like he's a king and she's a servant. Raff doesn't deserve Aspen at all. She needs so much better. And boy, could I provide that times a million.

"You're such an asshole. Aspens on the floor mourning and you're talking to her like she's dirt. I can't believe you. Be respectful to her for once for fuck's sake." I confidently say, my hiccups gone. I'm trying to stay as quiet as possible, since this is a church after all, and there's a funeral happening in the room right across the hall.

"Just fuck off okay? Aspen, I'll see you at your parent's house. Just text me the address."

"You're not even going to stay?" Aspen looks up at him.

"I'm sorry. Call me when the service ends. I just... Can't stay here anymore."

With that, he walks right out of Mountain View.

"He's such a sleezebag." I sigh, quiet enough so that Aspen doesn't hear.

"Well who else would date me?" She whimpers.

Frowning, I kneel down next to her, and sit my butt back on my heels. Her face is overcome with sadness, and it pains me.

"Why would you say that?" I say, my voice matching hers.

"Calum... you know why, please don't make me say it."

"Is that the only reason you're Raff's girlfriend? Because you think no one would date you?"

"No."

She says no, but her eyes say yes.

"Raff actually likes me. He's attracted to me, big thighs and all. Who else could offer that?"