Five// Raphael, Like The Ninja Turtle

January 1, 2015

A S P E N

If I had to explain my mood right now in one word, it'd be bored. There's nothing to do at this boring old book store that I work at besides reading and occasionally checking people's books out. And I'm personally not the biggest fan of reading.

Grandma Lil's Book Store. The place that my grandma (Lillian) owns, the place that she'll pass on to my mother when she passes and mum will pass it to Chloe when she passes and so on. Which means I'll never own this book store, but I'm stuck working here anyways.

"Sweetie, you're early." I hear Grandmas Lil's old and withered voice from behind me. I turn around, smiling at my grandmother who is of ancient age. Her skin is wrinkled and she's very short and her white hair has thinned to almost nothing. She's so adorable, it kills me.

"I know, Grandma, but I had nothing to do this New Years-" Yeah, it's New Years Day and I'm working. Fun. But it's not like I'd be doing anything anyways. Darcey probably has the biggest hangover and wouldn't want to do anything. "-so I figured why not come early and keep my favorite grandma company?" I say. She chuckles an airy chuckle and I go over to hug her.

"It's good to see you everyday. And that Darcey girl, how's she doin'?" She asks.

"She's great. Still my best friend. Kind of wacky but yanno, that's Darcey..." I laugh.

Speak of the literal devil, Darcey walks through the door, making the little bell that rings when the door opens ring. I smile at seeing my best friend, and she smiles too.

Her eyes look a little bloodshot and it looks like it actually pains her to take a step, so my assumptions were right. She has a hang over.

"Hey, Grandma Lil." Darcey says, and walks to my grandma, giving her a hug.

"Hello, gal. Alright, I'm going back in my office to take a nap. Sh... Don't tell anyone." She says, Darcey and I chuckling.

"Living on the wildside, huh?" I laugh.

"You know it." She waves her arthritis ridden finger at us as she walks back to where she came out from.

"What brings you here?" I ask the pink head who hops up onto the counter, dangling her legs off the side.

"I came to tell you I set you up on a date. With a guy named Raphael. I met him at a New Years party last night, you know, the one you didn't want to go to. He wasn't my type, he was more for you. He has tattoos everywhere and he likes bands and he has a man bun- which I know you love." She tells me, picking at her nails.

"He sounds great, but I don't know him, why would I go on a date with him?" I chuckle.

"Because you haven't been on a date in two years." She shrugs.

"That's why I'm not going." I say and pick up a box full of returned rented books under the counter to put them all away. She follows me as I walk around the store to put each story on the shelf in which it belongs.

"Yes, you are, I already planned it. And he said yes and he's hot, just go out with him." She practically begs.

"What'd you say his name was again? Raphael? Like the ninja turtle?" I laugh.

"Yes, like the ninja turtle."

"I'll go out with him if-"

"Yeah?"

"You help me het ready tonight."

"Done."

--

When I finish putting my make up on and brushing my hair, Darcey walks in my bathroom that is sadly not attached to my room like Chloe's is and sits on top of the sink.

"I picked out your outfit. He'll be here in fifteen minutes." She says just as I finish putting my hair in a messy ponytail on top of my head.

"Fifteen minutes should be enough time right? Oh my god, I'm nervous and I don't even know this guy. Why did I agree to this so soon?" I sigh.

"It's plenty of enough time, let's get your clothes on." Darcey lightly shoves me into my room, ignoring my last question.

I see the outfit Darcey picked out for me resting neatly on my bed. It's way too casual. It's just a pair of my nice black leggings and the baggiest Nirvana shirt I have.

"Isn't that too casual?"

"Nope. I asked him what he wanted to do with you and he said watch movies and eat pizza at your place. I asked Chloe tonot come home until later and she agreed because she also wants to get your dating life starting back up again." Darcey smiles.

"Can I at least wear that dark green knit cardigan that I like?" I ask.

"Yeah, that'll look good." She nods.

After quickly putting the outfit on, Darcey leaves me to nervously wait for my date to arrive. I keep wondering what he looks like, and if I'll like his "man bun" and "tattoos". I've always liked long hair on guys, probably because of Kurt Cobain, but I've never actually seen a guy with long hair before, just in pictures on my phone.

There's a knock on my door and I can actually feel all my muscles tense. I get up off of the sectional we have, and walk towards the door, fixing my hair before opening it.

[AN]
i'm laughing so hard rn bc i changed my kik display name to randy jackson.
i can't stop saying DAWG i have a problem pls help

-meanstreet