22. How Could She Have Ever Been Jealous? She Even Got Her Knives!

Ep

Ep. 7 "Welcome To The Fu-Bar" Ch.  4/4

—••• • ••—• ——— •—• •

10K had gone to one shooting competition before, he was barely old enough to participate and everyone was much older than him everywhere he looked.

As far as he could tell, Joy and himself were the only two under eighteen in the entire vicinity.

That time he had ended up in second, only bested by his own father, who refused to let him win just because he was his son.

He still got an ice cream out of it and an entire afternoon with Joy, so he didn't exactly mind ending up second at the end of the day.

•——— ——— —•——

"You ready shooters? Let's kill some zombies!" Sketchy was using a road cone as a megaphone as all the watchers began screaming in joy and excitement.

Joy had to admit, using that cone was awfully creative.

"Round one!" The contestants all cocked their guns, it sounded like premature gunfire, to be honest. "There's our first target right there, hippie dude with the long hair. Fire!" The contestants all shot at the Z, one of them shooting a grandma instead.

"All right, who shot grandma?" The audience laughed mockingly.

Poor person, they were trying their best. But their best apparently wasn't enough.

"Borges your out." A guy shot up and left. Only around a dozen more.

It was going to be a long day.

"Next target, hippie with the sweatpants." What did Sketchy have a against hippies anyway?

Bad ex-partner maybe?

"Fire!" The contestants shot once more as some argument began to happen behind them.

Joy only had to hear the words 'looks like a Z' to know not only who had started the argument, but also what the argument was about.

Doc and Cassandra began to leave to check on their lord and savior Murphy, but they stopped when they saw that Joy hadn't moved a muscle.

"Kid, you coming?" Joy shook her head, taking her knife out of her pocket and playing with it out of sheer anxiety for 10K.

"I'll stay here and watch him." Doc and Cassandra looked at each other.

They both knew why exactly she was staying, but chose not to comment on it and moved to find Murphy instead.

•——— ——— —•——

Sketchy kept calling out different Zs to shoot while Skeezy kept telling people they were out, but Joy had gotten good at ignoring them and instead focusing between her fidgety knife and 10K in front of her.