7. Cutthroat Is Better As A Song Than An Experience

Ep

Ep. 3 "Philly Feast" Ch. 4/5

—••• • ••—• ——— •—• •

Joy hadn't been insecure about her body until she reached high school, also known as bullying central.

Apparently there were things such as too skinny, not full enough, too small breasts and butt, and even too small in stature.

Joy tried playing it off as if she didn't care and the comments just bounced off her, but 10K knew how much it truly affected her.

How she began crossing her arms across herself more, how she tried hiding next to him every time a certain group of boys passed them in the hall, how she had gone from bright colors you could see across the room that she had always claimed to love to dull browns and gray, even how she seemed to cling onto his sweatshirts that she borrowed for longer periods of time.

During those days, 10K got into at least seven detentions for beating kids up every time they decided to make a negative remark about her looks, his Dad didn't punish him for it anyway, so he could endure an hour of silence after school.

•——— ——— —•——

Since then, Joy had learned to love herself in every possible way, both mentally and physically, and yes, she ended up sticking with darker colors rather than her bright pinks and oranges, but the colors weren't because she was no longer comfortable, more like she ended up liking the way she looked with them.

But even with all her comfort, what Moonshade and Stormy had given her was definitely not up her ally.

They gave her a top so short and with such a deep chest cut that it looked more like a bra than an actual shirt, not to mention the matching red silk shorts that barely covered enough of her buttocks to be considered wearable. Even the golden strap sandals they had switched out for her combat boots were uncomfortable. Did these people not know they were in the apocalypse? Not about to seduce Saturday's fling.

Joy had thought they'd stop at the outfits, but they didn't, Moonshade and Stormy went full on out with Addy and her transformation. They brushed her hair (quite painfully) free of its knots and instead brought it up into a tight high ponytail that even if Joy tried loosening it wouldn't budge.

But did they stop at her hair? No. Moonshade and Stormy even put makeup on her. Of course, the makeup looked more natural than the rest of her outfit, if you excluded the dark brown lips. That was definitely the only part of the transformation Joy would consider using on a daily basis.

Finally, once Addy and Joy were free of the women's grasps, they allowed them to leave the trailer. Joy didn't even make it three steps outside before she had wrapped her arms around herself.

Absolutely like high school.

"You both look beautiful." Addy scoffed.

"Don't get me wrong, I'm all for body conformity, but this is a bit much." Addy nodded at Joy's words, playing with the edge of her flowered robe.