69. End Of An Era

Marshall's P.O.V.

This shit is like waking up from a long ass dream.

My head feels so fucking heavy man.

I half sit, half lay on the hospital bed, leaning my back against the headboard as I listen to my attending physician explain the circumstances of my situation to me.

I still feel out of it, and I feel weak as hell. Some of his words barely even register.

But I do gather that my overdose had caused me to have a seizure. That I was clinically dead for a few minutes. And that I had been in a coma for a couple of days.

I don't even know what to say to that.

Or how to feel about it.

It's just so fucking weird man.

I almost died, and I can't believe that I almost died.

The worst part of it all though is that my daughters were the ones to find me.

I don't think I'll ever forgive myself for that man, giving them that fucking visual.

Once the doctor is done with me, I'm allowed to have visitors.

Denaun comes in as he's apparently been here already when I finally woke up.

"How you dawg, are you okay man?" He asks awkwardly and I just nod. "You scared the shit out of everybody asshole, you know that, right?" He then says.

"I know man," I reply.

"The rest of the fellas are coming soon, I just called them. Paul too."

"Cool man. What about my kids, and Melody? Actually wait dawg, I don't want my kids here at all. They've seen enough already, they don't need to see me like this now. But what about Mel?"

"Imma call her, Slim. She's been coming here every day while you was out."

I nod and then close my eyes.

I literally don't even have the energy right now.

Some time passes, and Melody walks in.

"Marshall," she says and then runs to me.

She jumps on the bed with me and her arms go around me and she just cries, I swear this girl always cries so much, but I always did secretly like it how emotional she is and how she doesn't even try to hide it. She starts kissing everywhere on my face, and my arms go automatically around her waist, but then I have to tell her to chill for a little bit.

"Mel, I seriously am sore all over right now," I quietly say.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" She exclaims and starts backing away from me.

"It's cool," I bring her back over and she just leans her face into my chest and rests there.

I wait for her to settle and we stay like that for a while.

Then I smirk to myself and say:

"So Mel, I'm a selfish fucking prick, huh?"

I can feel her damn near jerk in my arms and her face shoots up to meet my gaze as her eyes widen.

"You... you've heard that?" She asks incredulously.

"I sure did," I nod.

I'm not even mad at her though. I know exactly why she said what she said to me. But right now I just can't help wanting to tease her about it a little bit. Fuck it, I won't be me if I ain't try to make fun of a fucked-up situation.