Chapter 1: October Country Part 1

Two siblings sat across from one another, as they stared at the chessboard infront of them.

"Any day now, sister."

Cordelia Spellman gave her brother a warning glance, earning a chuckle. Ambrose sat back in his chair with a satisfied grin.

Releasing an annoyed sigh, the woman drew her attention back to the board. Noticing an opening, she smirked lightly and moved her knight.

"Please continue with your arrogance, brother. You know how much I love to humble you." she finally responded, while taking a sip of her tea and getting comfortable.

Ambrose immediately sat up straight, and muttered, "Dammit", once he saw the predicament he was in.

"Maybe we should call it a night." Cordelia stood up, while also grabbing her brother's empty mug.

"Nooo, you know how I despise pausing a game when I'm in hot water."

"Which is when? Every Friday?"

"Rude" Ambrose responded, unamused, leaning against the kitchen sink, arms crossed. "Very rude" in a distinct English accent which he picked up on while living in London for a few years with Aunt Hilda.

While Cordelia shared a Mid-Atlantic accent with their other aunt, as they also traveled together for a few years, before everyone got together for when Sabrina was born.

Chuckling, Cordelia magicked the dishes clean and then flicked her brother on his forehead.

"Ow" Ambrose frowned, while rubbing his head.

"What time do you think Sabrina will be back? "

"She left a few hours ago, I'm guessing she should be back any minute."

Nodding her head in response, "Do you want to join me and wait for her on the porch?" Cordelia asked, while taking out her silver lighter and cigarette and heading to the door.

"No, thank you. I would much rather not watch my dear cousin fool around with the mortal boy."

"Oh come on, it was so much fun last time." she smiled blissfully, remembering both her cousin and Harvey Kinkle almost fell down the stairs, after she cleared her throat, as they assumed it was the red-headed matriarch of the house.

"Still not worth watching them smooch. I'll rather head to my room."

"I think you're just jealous that your very younger cousin is getting on more than you." Cordelia teased, while placing the lit cigarette in her mouth, as she turned to open the door.

Leaning his arm on the staircase railing, the warlock smirked at the snide, and then looked towards the stairs. "Oh evening, Aunt Hilda!"

At that the witch immediately choked out the cigarette, and kicked it as she turned back, her eyes wide.

All she was met with was her laughing brother, heading towards the stairs. Realizing it was a ruse, she glared at his back.

"You know you could've magicked it away!"

"Uncalled for Ambrose, I wasted a cigarette!"

Walking up the steps, he responded, "Over 100 year old witch and you still can't let our dear sweet Aunt Hilda know that you like to take a drag."

Rolling her eyes, she went outside and took the armchair at the far end of the porch, next to her Aunt Zelda's usual spot.

Angrily taking out a new one, she lit it and then took a drag. She breathed out in satisfaction, as the cold air hit her just right.