𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟼 - 𝙿𝚛𝚘𝚖𝚒𝚜𝚎

It was as though the entire world around me was shaking

It was as though the entire world around me was shaking. My hands, which were dug into the corpse of a dead man, covered in blood and dirt, shook like they never had before. Thanked a sting to them at the very tips of my fingers. The type of sting that made adrenaline course through my veins, and the type to bring some sort of accomplishment to anybody.

My pupils slit, even more than they had been before I lay my eyes on the corpse Akaza delivered to me not even ten minutes ago. However, what concerned me the most about what I was feeling was the way my heart raced and my whole body felt as though it were being reformed, as if it were adapting to some sort of change needed for it to properly survive.

It hurt, but not in a bad way. I was used to pain right about now, especially after being in this fortress for what felt like hundreds of constant years, and now I was even able to differentiate the different types of pain. The horrid pain. The helpless pain. The mental pain. The adrenaline pain. The kind pain.

This was the type of pain that was a mix of them all, one I had never been able to experience before ever in my lifetime. It hurt, but it was kind enough to allow me to bear through it. It was mentally challenging, even as my mind raced and my thoughts were on turmoil speed, yet it felt pleasing and the type to help you win a fight and bring you a sense of determination.

If this were to have a name, I would call it the 'changing pain'. It shifted from your mind to your physical body. It was harsh, yet it was kind. It was fast but it was horribly slow. It was the only pain I couldn't regenerate from.

My breathing became radged, my now sharp nails digging into the corpse as my head fell forward and my razor teeth clenched in agony, my entire body writhing in pain as I hissed to myself, veins bulging out of my face.

But just as quickly as it came, it left. Almost immediately after I hunched over the body below me in pure agony, it was gone, as if it were never there to begin with.

It confused me at first. What was this pain? What was happening to my body, even as I stood to my feet and glanced down at my shaking palms in pure bewilderment.

There was only one thing separating it from all of the other helpless bodies I had consumed by Akaza's demands. For one, it was sliced in half, the lower part of their body deliberately missing, likely from Akaza taking a slice from it, which was unlikely already. Akaza was never the type to share food, he always got me a body of my own, a weaker one to which he would usually consume. Just the thought of him sharing this with me was surprising at the time. But the second thing was the certain uniform covered over them.

It was one I had never seen before, even as the haori sat on top of it gently, its fabric torn to shreds as the crimson seeped into the cloth and stained it with an infinite touch. They were obviously someone who was a part of something, more than likely, The Demon Slayer Corps.