Chapter 39

Naina woke up panting but immediately stopped herself from screaming loud. Many years have passed but still she was experiences the after-effects of all the things that happened in her life. So, she sat on the bed, contemplating whether she should listen to her heart or not. She then took her decision. She tip-toed to the room beside her, careful not to wake the girls in the room. After the attack they decided to stick together. So the entire team was staying in four rooms, where all the girls were in the same room. 

Raj and Naveen were sleeping in the same room whereas Captains and Gunny were downstairs, doing god knows what. Gunny knew that Naveen and Raj were already really stressed out ever since they came to know that even Pooja was infected now. And truth to be told, the anti-dote of the poison was not available in India. In short, there was not any confirmation, if they'll get it on time or not. The 4 of them were doing everything that they can. This was the reason why they were really scared but were acting as if everything was fine.

Naina pushed the door open. Both Naveen and Raj were awake but thought that it was Gunny, so they didn't react.

Naina went towards Naveen's bed and slipped beneath the covers. Naveen opened his eyes and immediately his eyes were filled with worry. 

"Gudiya, kya hua tujhe? Tabiyat thik hai na?" Naveen asked as he searched her face for any sign of pain.

Raj too, got up immediately. "Naina, kya hua?" 

"Neend nahi aa rahi." Naina said and snuggled closer to Naveen, hiding her face in his chest.

Truth to be told, Naina was scared. Because she and Pooja had searched about the anti-dote in secret but there was nothing positive on the internet. Needless to say, the Majors were hiding the truth from their cadets and the cadets were hiding it from the Majors, both trying to hide their pain to keep the other safe and happy.

Raj and Naveen both realized the hidden thought behind her sentence, so Naveen just laid next to her and covered her with the blanket. He began patting her head and humming to make her sleep. Raj too, laid back in his bed while keeping his face towards Naina.

Naveen's sleep was all gone now. He just stared at Raj and both the men looked at each other, as they both were feeling the same thing. The helplessness of protecting the ones they love. 

Raj got up abruptly. Naveen stared at him and asked him silently where he was going, to which Raj just responded by nodding his head towards the door and left.

Here, Pooja was sitting upstairs on the terrace. She got up sometime after Naina. She thought that maybe she'll find Naina upstairs and came here but then, she felt peaceful in the night breeze and sat there instead. 

Raj noticed that the door to the terrace was open, and his instinct told him to check. He found Pooja sitting there, cocooned up in the blanket. He realized that not just Naina but all of his cadets needed him now. They were forced to grow up and forced the harsh reality, way too soon. They never got a chance to actually enjoy and live their first posting, the thrill of finally earning the uniform, as they were too busy, fighting for justice for him. 

So, he went and sat next to her. Pooja immediately wiped her tears and said in her usual cheery voice, " Are Shahrukh aap? I mean Rajveer Sir, aap yahan?"

Raj just chuckled and said, "Han, neend nahi aa rahi thi isliye yahan upar aa gaya." 

"Mujhe bhi. Neeche signal disturb ho raha tha isliye yahan upar aa gayi." She too replied.

"Dar lag raha hai?" Raj asked her quietly.

Pooja shook her head in no. But Raj knew better, so he continued, " Mujhe to lag raha hai."