Chapter 37

I wake up still in Xander's laboratory, sleeping on the couch. Avery is on the other side. Sitting up slowly I look around. Grayson slept leaning against the front of the couch, Jameson on the table, Xander on the floor, Rosie on the arm of the couch across from us, Max lying down covering every part of the opposite couch, Thea rests on a chair at the head of the table with... Rebecca? She wasn't here before... right? I step off the couch barely missing Grayson's foot and I land on the ground with a dull thud. Grayson moves slightly, he looks peaceful as he sleeps... did I wake him? I don't want to wake anyone up. I walk to where Xander lays and gently removed the keys from his pocket. I can't make a noise... Clink. Shoot. I turn around and find Grayson standing right behind me, arms crossed.

"Good morning," I say quietly. He looks at the keys in my hands and looks back at me.

"Good morning, Amy," He says Amy... It felt so weird but so good when he used my nickname. I feel myself blushing. I stand up from my crouched position, with very little distance between us. I step to the side and walk towards the door but he grabs my arm stopping me. "And, what do you think you are doing?"

"Oh, me? I need to... go find Alisa! You pulled me away from talking to her yesterday!" I say and he looks at me with a raised eyebrow. "Is it really that difficult to believe?" I ask him and he nods. I sigh hopefully making it seem like I am telling the truth. 

"I'll believe you but if anything happens, should I trust you?" He asks me a soft expression on his face. I can't help but look at him. Why are Hawthornes so attractive... What is going on with me?!

"I guess you can't" I shrug and he lets go of my arm as I unlock the door. 

"Why did my brother ask to put your phone on speaker?" Grayson asks me all of a sudden.

"What? I don't know. A hunch or something?" I say trying to sound as believable as I can but Grayson is Hawthorne.

"My brother just cares about you, Amber. You're like a sister to him... He just wants to see you safe, as do... I. I'm not going to force an answer out of you, I'm not going to avoid you. I just want to know, what did they find?" Grayson says looking back at me

"I know. You don't have to force an answer out of me, I'll say it. But, promise me one thing. Don't blame yourself for any of this, anything that happened or will happen." I say with probably a pleading look in my eyes because Grayson looks into them and sighs.

"I won't, Amber. Just tell me, please?" Grayson asks me looking at his brother who sleeps on the table. He looks like he is thinking for a moment, about what? Was he wondering how what he was doing on there? About his brother's feelings for me?

"There was something special in my drink..." I say and look at his face for anything but he still stares at his brother. Did he hear me? "At least that is what they said..." I say and he doesn't say anything. His eyes closed. "They don't know what it was," Still nothing... "I'm going to die in twenty-four hours!" that was a lie. His eyes flash open and he just looks at me frowning. Jameson who lies on the table starts to move a bit. Is he awake?"I'm kidding, Grayson. I'm kidding."

"Something special... What?" Grayson asks looking around the room his gaze landing on Rosie. He just blinks his mouth in a straight line.

"Don't know," I shrug "Don't worry about Rosie she has always been like that. One time at a sleepover I secured her under the blanket, you know tucking the blanket under the mattress and stuff..." I clarified how just in case...  I step out of the room and walk a bit but Grayson's voice stops me.

"Xander! Amber is trying to leave!" Grayson shouts and Xander and Jameson wake up along with Avery, Rebecca, and Thea. But Rosie and Max are still fast asleep, they're so similar.

"Oh, be quiet Grayson!" I shout walking faster but Grayson lifts me off my feet and carries me back into the room throwing me onto the couch. "Seriously?! No fair." I grumble.

"I'll be taking those!" Xander says snatching the keys out of my hand. "You're stuck in here while we go and get the ring from Zara!" Xander smiles.

"Hey! Why are you leaving me out!" I shout.

"To make you angry at something else, and that is the only thing we are leaving you out on," Xander says smiling.

"Hmm... Not the only thing" I say glancing at the brothers and then at Thea.

"What?" Xander asks me frowning. With an evil smile on my face, I look directly at Max. Xander likes Max... I know it.

"Xander has feelings for Max!" I blurt out and Avery shoots up onto her feet and she looks between Max and Xander, her eyes darting back and forth.

"I knew it! Xander" Thea says with a look on her face.

"Amber!" Xander shouts and that is what wakes Max and Rosie up. They sit up slowly and look at us, with questioning looks on their face.

"Hmm... yes, yes. So I am right. You two are perfect for each other" I say with a toothy grin.

"Uh huh?" Xander says tilting his head.

"Uh huh" I nod and he nods slightly. Max and Rosie are trying to fill in what happened

"Congrats Xan. Congrats" Jameson chuckles and Grayson just smiles. He smiles.

"No, congrats Jamie and Gray," Xander says looking straight at me, his arms crossed with an evil grin on his face. Two can play that game, but I can't help but blush. I bite my bottom lip making sure no sounds escape my mouth. I need to counter...

"Congrats to all! Merry Christmas!" Rosie squeals and we all stare straight at her and she looks at us funny.

"Rosie! It isn't even Christmas!" I say.

"It is always Christmas somewhere! Maybe in some alternate universe," I laugh as she says so.

"I like her," Max says nudging Rosie.

"What kind of like?" I ask glancing at Xander who looks mad.

"No, that isn't what I meant! What I meant is that she could be a friend" Max says looking almost disgusted.

"If you say so" I shrug looking at Xander who stares at me and I hear Jameson hold in his laughter. "Well, it seems that you all have somewhere to be! Talking to Zara to get the ring..." 

"First! Amber, what do you think of my brothers?" Xander asks me looking evil.

"That is enough Xan. Let's go" Grayson says yanking Xander and he looks at me for just a moment before looking away. Everyone says goodbye and files out of the room. That leaves me alone with the door locked. Surely there is a way out of here...

(1177 words)