Chapter 34

My phone starts to ring in my pocket disrupting my peace and quiet. I look at the caller id. It was Avery. Was it time to leave? I check the time. 8:00 AM. It was time to leave... I pick up the phone with no intention of leaving the roof.

"Yeah?" I say picking up the phone.

"Amber where the hell are you?!" Avery asks. "We're about to leave just come out to the SUV will you?"

"Well, I have no choice do I?"

"You're on speaker. Where are you? Just please tell me. I'm not mad. I just want to know the truth, don't hide everything away."

"Why am I on speaker?! Anyways I will come but if I told you where I was, you would be mad," I say. She would definitely be mad if she found out that I was on the roof.

"I won't be I promise you. You're on speaker so Oren can hear you"

"Uggh. Look up and out the window," I walk over to the edge and spot the SUV waiting for me. The window opens and Avery just stares at me. I wave. I was at the edge. Part of my foot wasn't on the roof. I knew I wasn't going to fall. My phone buzzes. A text message. It was The Sheriff. I feel as if time stopped again. The air is gone. My thumb trembling I open it. Don't fall. It read. I text back. Why do you care? I need to stop. I pretend it never happened and look back at Avery. A smile on my face.

"Amber. Don't you dare fall!" Avery shouts into the phone.

"If I do fall?"I ask her playfully.

"NO" I hear someone say. Not deep enough to be Oren. One of the brothers.

"Fine! Fine! I'm coming." I head to the place I climbed up from. Still on the phone with Avery. I head to the edge. Avery still looking at me from the SUV.

"Oren! Let me out of here!" She exclaims trying to open the door. There was no response. I laugh and give a lazy salute as I jump off the roof to the lower one. "A-" Avery starts but she sees that I am okay. I jump down the second and walk to the SUV slamming the door open.

"Avery! How nice to see you again!" I say joyfully hanging up the phone. Avery's eyes are still wide with shock. I look at the others in the SUV. There was one spot open on the very edge next to Max. It was a window seat but there were too many people inside. My smile weakens slightly as I climb in. There were a lot of people. I need to stay calm. We were going to be out in a few minutes anyways. I looked at the brothers and Rosie. "I made you all speechless did I? Y'all enjoyed my spectacle?" I laugh.

"I thought you ran into the house or something! I never thought you would be on the roof!" Xander says laughing from the back. I strap in my seatbelt and we start driving.

"Where would be the fun in that?" I chuckle, proud of what I had accomplished.

"Don't you do that to me again! You could have given me a heart attack" Avery says looking me dead in the eye. I shrug.

"I didn't did I? No guarantees though..." I look at everyone in the SUV. "Where are the others?"I ask.

"They're in the other SUV, they're waiting for us at the airport," Grayson says from the back.

"Sorry I made you guys wait. I didn't know what time it was until you called me Ave," I shrug.

The rest of the ride there is silent. A few small conversations between the others. Not me. I have the urge to call The Sheriff. I shouldn't. He might not pick up but I want to. I need to. What is his area code? 970. Where was 970? I need to search it up. Later when I am on the jet. The jet. I don't like planes or jets. They move a lot. I look around the car. Everyone was minding their own business. The SUV pulls to a stop and we all climb out of the SUV. I need to use my phone right now. But! I also need to sleep. Walking into the jet I find Alisa waiting for us at the entrance.