Chapter 23 * Special POV

I am trying something new! This chapter is the previous chapter but in... GRAYSON'S POV!

Amber and I stood silently in her room. Alisa and Jameson left us there. Why did I volunteer to teach her? Why was I so desperate to be with her? Stupid me.

"You sure you want to teach me?" She asks in her soft, calming voice.

"I am sure. Let's get ready shall we?" I look at her. She had a cut on her neck and her face. What bastard would do such a thing? Why Amber? She had the most innocent looks on her face, but what she had been through would always be there. There was a silence again. Did I say something wrong?

"Ok... how?" She asks raising an eyebrow.

"Alisa left your jackets on the chair here. When you are ready meet me at the backdoor." I say collected. I needed to be.

"Okay. Gray-" She was going to ask about my father, isn't she? If I am ok? I don't need her comfort. As much as I want it.

"If this is about my father let's talk about it later" Her eyes looked almost hurt. Did I hurt her feelings? Not wanting to talk about my father? I didn't need to bother anyone with my problems.

"Understood" Amber nods. 

I walk out of the room and close the door. How could I be so stupid? Letting her worry about me? She of all people shouldn't have to take care of me. Why did I feel this way? What do I feel when I see Amber? 

I walk to my room. Next to Jameson's and Nash's. I grab my equipment and put them on as fast as I can. If she finishes before me. What would she think? I pick up my helmet and goggles from my cupboard. There is a box, on the top shelf. I shouldn't let my curiosity get the best of me. But here I am reaching for the box. I open it quickly.

Emily. She would always be here. Her helmet and goggles lay in the box. She had come with us once. I need to snap out of it. I need to... get rid of the memory. Replace it with a new one. I should be over Emily. But I'm not. 

I run out of the room. Not ordinary for me. Bringing the helmet and goggles with me. Should I be doing this? What if she already had her own? I hadn't seen any... I wait at the exit. Stand there. A second later I hear footsteps running down the stairs. Amber.

"I'm here!" she announces sounding joyful. She always did. But was that what she felt on the inside? I can't help but wonder. I feel the corners of my lips tilting upwards. What was I doing? Smiling? I get rid of my smile and turn to her. "So, what do I do?" she shrugs and looks at me. She can't see my eyes. But she wants to. I look down at the helmet and goggles in my hands. Emily's. Snap out of it. It doesn't matter anymore.

"Put these on. Now for the basics" I hand her the items in my hands. If I stay this way. She can't get close to me. She can be my friend. 

---

"There's an easy trail here. If we take it long enough we will hit the busier ski areas on the mountain" I point towards the trail. I look back at Amber. With the goggles, I don't know where she is looking. I was trying to stay perfect but I couldn't help falling for... I need to stop. I shake my thoughts away.

"Got it," Amber says looking behind her at our artic specialist Mike. Did she know his name?

"Ready?" I ask. The height difference is quite noticeable. She nods her head. She gets into position but she starts wobbling. I can't have her falling again. What would everyone think? I slide in front of her and hold her arms. I was touching her. 

"Thanks" She chuckles. She gives me a large toothy smile but I give her nothing. She was knocking down the walls I set up over the years. By being herself? I can't let myself fall. My walls fall.