Chapter 1

I am Hawthorne. Amber Hannah Hawthorne. It didn't sound right. Why was I Ms. Grambs then? Why did my mother choose the surname Grambs for school? Did she not want to draw attention? I thought about my certificate. Her name was signed Sarah Grambs. That couldn't be her real name. I didn't know how I was going to tell Avery about my real name. How I was going to tell Libby that I wasn't her blood sister but she would still be mine. The Hawthorne brothers knew about my name. About my mother and my father. They knew but Avery didn't and she didn't even come and ask me why I left. I decided I was going to tell her. I walked out of my room. My bodyguard was standing there. I walked out of my wing. I looked all around the house but no one was there. 

"Where is everyone?" I asked my bodyguard.

"I'll ask." He flipped a switch on his walkie-talkie "Oren. Where are you right now?" There was a static sound but I could make out the words. 

"Tunnels. Is there a problem?"

"Problem?" I heard a voice in the background was it Avery?

"No no problem." I ran off now there was a problem. "New problem. I've lost Amber"

I turned the corner and slipped behind the painting that leads to the room of ladders. I had very few left to explore. I walked towards the chalk I left on the ground. I picked it up the dust blowing in different directions. I marked the entrance I was going through and dropped the chalk. I walked into the small passageway and went up the ladder with one arm. I still had the cast but I had learned to climb up ladders without it. Once I made it to the top I opened the trapdoor. It was dark and dusty when was the last time someone used this one? I climbed up and out. The trapdoor closed.

"S***" I took my phone out of my pocket and turned the flashlight on. I was in a dark cell-like room. I pressed and pulled nothing happened. I tried the trapdoor and it opened. It wasn't like the others. "What?" I jumped down the ladder and added a second line to the ready existent one so I knew which one it was. I decided to go up a different one. I took the chalk marked it and went up the ladder. I popped my head up they all looked the same. Cell-like rooms. I took a rock out of my pocket and placed it in the hinge of the trapdoor.

I walked around the room there was some light in the corner of one of the walls. I pressed and pulled. Rubbing my hands over the walls there was a small indent I pushed. The wall flung open. I quickly grabbed the rock and jumped to the other side of the wall. Where had the light been coming from I saw none now. I was falling. I screamed just in case someone was there. I quickly grabbed onto a slab coming out of the wall then I noticed that the wall was full of them. I should've used them. I climbed down slowly and carefully. I put my phone in my mouth so I could use the hand of my broken arm. I pointed the flashlight down. I saw the ground a few meters away and I heard voices. 

"Hello? Is everyone okay?" I heard a female voice.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" I ask my voice muffled.

"Amber?" It was Avery. I drop my phone from my mouth to draw attention... did I break it?

"Yeah me. Do you see the light behind you or in front of you?" I heard footsteps but they didn't sound like Avery's. A tall boy with a dark head appeared and looked up at me, Jameson. "Hi." Avery ran up behind him.

"What are you doing? You have a broken arm. Why did you scream?" Avery calls up at me.

"I fell a few floors down, I didn't expect it to happen. Do I look like I care?" I shrug.

"Come on down," Jameson calls out watching my every move.

"Fine." I jumped off knowing that it was a long fall. I flipped off the wall and landed in a crouch and stood up.