Chapter 20

Back at the hotel, I decided I should call Avery. I walked into my room and closed the door. I leaned against the wall and took out my phone. I wanted to know why she was going to True North. I dialed and she picked up in a second. 

"AMBER! What the hell are you doing in Connecticut?!"

"Hello to you too," I say. "Just wanted to know why True North?"

"It was in the will. Skye's part said may she always know True North... something along those lines. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'll tell you everything when we're in True North so I am going to hang up now. I need to go to bed."

"Ok yeah. Bed?"

"Time difference"

"Right. See you tomorrow then"

"See you"

I hang up and call up another contact. Xander. Did he know I was in Connecticut? Did Avery tell him?

"Xan?"

"Amber? Where are you? I've been worried and-"

"Scared?" I laugh.

"No... scared for you"

"Thanks. I've been in Connecticut."

"What are you? Is it about the cult?"

"Yes, it is. They contacted me by phone. So I went there. Let myself get kidnapped and I forgot how much rope burns hurt. Anyways Liam part of Oren's team? They were the person on the inside. He cut my cheek and my neck slightly. He was going to kill me but I had an earring that contacts Oren soo... Yeah."

"Oh, Amber... Why do I feel that there is something you aren't telling me?"

"I remembered something. When I was with you in the library."

"What was it?"

"The first day I was at the warehouse. They told me it would hurt a bit. They knocked me out and when I woke up my back hurt. I looked at my back in the mirror and..."

"And there was a brand"

"Yeah. A star with an S and a T layered. It stands for The Sherrif. The leader."

"How can some people be so cruel?!" Xander starts. He was letting his cheerfulness disappear.

"Xan Deer, it is ok. I am going to True North tomorrow. Are you going?"

"Yeah, I am. Avery told me."

"See you tomorrow then. Goodnight Xan Deer."

"Goodnight Amy Bear" He sighed and I hung up.

I didn't bring any change of clothes so I just jumped onto my bed and lay down. I felt dirty doing so. I pulled the blanket over my head and fell asleep.

---

Beep! Beep! I reach for my phone and turn the alarm off. I just wanted to sleep. I was still tired. I walked into the bathroom and closed the door behind me. I looked at myself in the fancy mirror. I removed the plaster slightly to see the cut. The cut had a scab. Not the beady kind. Slightly larger. I stuck the plaster flat back onto my face and turned on the tap. I brushed my teeth and washed my face. I was ready to go. 

I packed my very small bag with my phone and put my beanie and glasses on. I put my contacts in and I was all set. I walked out of the bedroom and Oren was stationed there. 

"I'm ready to go and where is Nash?"

"Right here," Nash says from behind me. His thick accented voice was instantly recognizable.