Chapter 2

I decided to skip school saying that I had a huge headache. I didn't want to be anywhere near the people at school. I decided I was going to go back to the cell with the weird trapdoor. I went into the cupboard and into the room. I entered the small space that led to the ladder and climbed up it. 

"Okay. Let me try this again." I said looking at the wall. I felt everything even the smallest draft of air. Indent or print. I stayed there for a long time. Avery was probably coming home soon. Maybe she was already home. I noticed uneven surfaces on one of the bricks. Letters. "H," I said out loud. "I, T, I" What? Anagram? Tobias Hawthorne the second. I pressed the letters in order. "T, H, I, I" A slim gap opened up on the side of the room. I ran towards it and slipped in. It led to a bedroom. What if it belonged to one of the boys? What if it belonged to Zara or Skye? Where was Skye anyways? What if it led to Nan's room? I looked around. It was dark and dusty. The entrance I came from closed behind me.

I walked around the room and went out of the door. It was a wing and the way out of the wing was at the end of the wing. I decided to explore the rooms first. There was a large bathroom and an office there was a library as well. The wing was similar to mine but it was smaller. I looked at the end of the wing. It was a wall. I went to the other end. Another wall. What was going on? Why were there two walls? I was stuck in the wing. I went back to the other end. I felt the wall it wasn't evened out. It was bricked as they blocked it off. Could this be Toby's wing? The wing that my father was in? The one we aren't allowed to go to? How could anyone find me? I was stuck here. I slumped against the wall thinking about every way I could get out. My phone. 

I opened my phone and went to my contacts. Xander.

Amber: Xan.

Xander: Yeah.

Amber: Please help me.

Xander: What happened?

Amber: Where are you right now?

Xander: In the car with your sister and Jameson.

Amber: By any chance is Jameson looking at the screen right now?

Xander: He is.

Amber: Whatever.

Xander: Why do you need help?

Amber: I am stuck.

Xander: Where?

Amber: IDK 

Xander: What do you mean you don't know?

Amber: I am in I think it is a wing but there is no exit.

Xander: How did you get in then?

Amber: Passageway but it closed up after me.

Amber: Could this be Toby's wing?

Xander: It could be. I'll get you out of there.

Amber: Thanks

Xander: I was planning on breaking the wall down anyways.

Amber: You were?

Xander: Yeah who knows what clues could be hidden there?

Amber: True.

Xander: Jameson says that we will save you.

Amber: Don't be so nosy Jameson.

Xander: We arrive we won't be too long.

Amber: kk

I turned my phone off. I looked at the wing. My father had lived here all his childhood. Why did he leave? How did he 'die'?

"Amy Bear? You back there?" It was Xander.

"Yup right here on the other side of this stupid brick wall"

"I'm getting you out of there."

"Please do."

"Pay no attention to this sledgehammer!"Xander said.

"I know what you're doing," another voice said. Was it Avery?

"What sledgehammers were put on God's green earth to do," 

"I know"

"What is it that you think you know?"

"I know that you didn't want to answer my question about Toby. I know that you and Rebecca and Thea were up to something at lunch today. I know your uncle's alive"

"Did the old man say something in your letter?"

"No. Did he say something in yours?"

Another voice joined the conversation "Looks like a party! Shall we?" was it Jameson?

"Mine."

"The sledgehammer, what's behind the wall or the glory of saving the person on the other side of the wall."

"All of them"

"Whose on the other side of the wall?" Avery asked.

"I am. Why do you think I wasn't at school today?" They started talking more and more. "Just get me the hell out of here. You don't know how long I have been trapped here."

"Fine," Xander said. "Step back"

I did as I was told and the bricks came tumbling down there was a lot of dust and I looked through the entrance to the other side. My eyes adjusted to the light of the hallway.

"Hi guys" 

"You are ok right?"

"Do I look dead to you?"

"No"

"I'm fine. Just hungry and dying for air. Let's go in. I mean you guys. I am already inside."

"How did you get in there?" Avery asked me.

"Secret passageway. Just saying I didn't check in too much detail but I didn't see anything suspicious in the bathroom or study you are still welcome to check I just wouldn't stay there for too long and when you were talking about knowing Toby is alive stuff you should have just remembered. I am Hawthorne. Toby's daughter. Well bye." I skipped away into his bedroom I didn't look for anything I just took it all in. I imagined everything that Harry had done in this room. Everything that happened in his life. I stood still I almost expected someone to ask me if I was ok. I thought about how he got to know my mother. Who she was to him and he was to her. I saw them group around the floor. A tile. 

"What the hell are you kids doing in here?" I turned around and saw Mr. Laughlin standing there.

"Just putting everything back where we found it! Right after we-"

"Out"

We lined up outside and I decided it was best if I took the blame because I was the one who got trapped in there.

"Who is responsible for all of this?!" Jameson was about to step forward but I put an arm in front of him and stepped up.

"I am"

"Why did you do this?!" He was mad.

"I found a secret passageway and I got trapped in a room so I tried to find a way out and when I did it led me to Toby's room. Then I couldn't get out so I texted Xander to come and get me out which he did with a sledgehammer but before he did Avery and Jameson came because they were just passing by and then..." I needed to come up with something "they were... worried so they came to get me. Then Jameson noticed a tile was loose and just in case someone goes in the wing again he should cover it up and because it was heavy they were all putting it back in place then you came."

"How do I know you aren't lying?"

"Ask them and my bodyguard I didn't go to school today ask Mrs. Laughlin I didn't go down to eat today because I was stuck in that wing."

Mr. Laughlin looked at me with concerned eyes but he was still mad he also looked hurt. "Don't go in that passageway again and don't go in that wing again."

"Yessir!" We all said at the same time and we walked away.

(1207 words)