Chapter 24

Back to Amber's POV

Oren and the artic specialist rushed Grayson and me back to True North as fast as they could. Which was pretty fast. I took off my goggles and Grayson did the same as we walked to the back. Grayson and I made it to the backdoor and I immediately took off my skis and plopped onto the snowy ground. Grayson looked down at me and raised an eyebrow.

"Everything okay?" Grayson asks as I look up at him. 

"Yup. I guess that is it for skiing." I smile when it isn't what I feel on the inside.

"Amy-" Grayson started but he jumped back. 

A huge lump of snow landed in between us. It had fallen from the roof. It had barely missed Grayson. Then a boy in skis fell down right next to me. I looked up at his face. It was Jameson and of course, he didn't have any poles... Jameson is weird. Jameson is Hawthorne. Hawthornes are a different breed. Oh, wait... I am Hawthorne. Hawthorne-ish?

"Nice entrance," Grayson said eyeing his brother.

"I try" Jameson replied with a smile on his face. There was an object in his hands. He looked down at me. "What-?" I ignored his start of a sentence and looked at the object. It was a picture frame. What for? Could it be the reason we came here? The reason we came to True North?

"Is that-" Jameson shrugged at me, still wondering why I was sitting with my legs crossed on the floor.

"What can I say? I really am just that good. He gently placed the picture frame on my lap and I stared at the picture. It was of Tobias Hawthorne's three children. I looked back up at Jameson. Was he just giving it to me? Was there a catch? He looked at his brother and grabbed a pair of ski poles leaning against the wall. "And I challenge you to a drop". 

"What is a drop?" I ask looking at the two of them. Whatever it was it sounded Hawthorne. If it was Hawthorne there was definitely danger. They didn't respond. "Whatever just don't hurt yourselves or do anything illegal" I mumble. Audible enough for them to give me a look. "Go on then run along and do whatever a drop is"

With my words, the brothers ski down the mountain rapidly and disappear from my field of view. The door opened behind me and I didn't bother to look. Maybe I should have because they jumped onto me. 

"What the hell?!" I scream. I look behind me. Rosie. "Rosie, you scared me"

"Did I?"

"I screamed" I chuckle. Rosie was an interesting person. Not someone everyone was or could be friends with. 

"I guess you did. What are you doing sitting down out here?"

"I don't know... I just plopped onto the floor when I came back with Gray-"

"YOU WERE WITH THE BOYS?! Tell me everything. Don't skip out ANY details."

"I will first" I held up a finger. "I need to go talk to Avery or Xander or someone. 

"Ok" 

---

I walked to the stairs the picture frame had been with Rosie trailing behind me. When I saw something I shouldn't have seen. My eyes widened as I looked at the two of them. Rebecca and Thea. They were kissing in the stairwell. Thea looks at me but she doesn't stop. I need to say something. I need to...

"Get a room, will you? Help the others out?" Rosie squeaks from behind me. Why did she say that? I was happy that she did but...

"Amber and- This isn't-" Rebecca started.

"Any of your business" Thea continued she smiled.

"Agreed. This is Rosie by the way."  I walk away and down the stairs. "Rosie. Why did you say that?"