Chapter 28

There is a knocking at the door. I open my eyes. It was still dark out. My phone says it was 2:00 AM. I hadn't slept that long. Just an hour. I get out of bed and head for the door. The knocking again. Not the door. The bookshelf. I was in a daze. Lightheaded?

I search for the book and pull on it. I thought that Jameson would be there but to my surprise, the bookshelf revealed a Grayson Hawthorne still in bad condition, jacket and all. Where had he come back from? We stood there in silence before I examine him and step back to let him in.

"Is everything okay? I would ask how ski-lift chicken went but I think the way you and your brother look explained that already" I say a weak smile on my lips.

"Your sister was worried"

"About me? Nooo, really?" I mock I didn't care about that "I was worried about you and your brother" I say my voice softer. Grayson shakes his head and steps toward me.

"You shouldn't have to be." There is a hint of emotion in his eyes. Did he know? Was he worried about me?

"Were you worried about me?" I ask frowning. He shouldn't have to be.

"Xander told us. He told us Oren and Mike were there" I sighed and sat on my bed. I gestured for him to walk in instead of staying in the passageway. He stayed still before walking in. There was something off. About the way, he was walking. I examine him as he comes to stand in front of me. I pat beside me and Grayson looks me in the eye before sitting down. I examine his legs. There it was his ankle looking a little bigger than the other. Had he damaged it? Doing the drop? Stupid drop...

"You shouldn't have to be worried. You're hurt"

"That doesn't matter and I should be worried."

"Then I should be worried as well. You hurt your ankle doing the drop. That is exactly why your grandfather outlawed it when you were I would say twelve." Grayson looks me in the eye and just blinks. "Xan told me that it was outlawed when he was around ten..."

"Why do you keep putting yourself in danger?" Grayson asked. His question caught me by surprise.

"What? No, I-"

"First you break your arm, then you sprain your ankle" He looks away. He was thinking about the way he could've prevented my injuries. I place a hand on his lap and he continues "You get yourself kidnapped and now you could've been injured or lost."

"I'm not doing it purposely I swear" I was getting irritated. I didn't need Grayson lecturing me about the things I had done. Where things could go wrong. "You're the one who hurt yourself today. Oh, but of course! Hawthorne men have nine lives." I mutter and turn away from him. I wanted to go on a walk back out in the forest again.

"Amy" Grayson's voice was soft. He called me Amy. The power of my nickname coming from him was huge.

"Are you okay?" I ask him. He had seen his father, how did he feel?

"If this is about my father, I already talked. You said you would talk about you later. Later is now." Grayson states. His voice was smooth and low.

"I did" I sigh. "I am fine. But... who was Liam working for? He was working for The Sherrif. Who is he? Because I know he won't give up. That is it"

"There is something you aren't telling me... Nash told me everything about what happened. What he walked into. He said it was best if someone knew."

"I swear to god Nash," I say tilting my head upwards to look at the ceiling. I close my eyes, I was feeling dizzy. I should sleep. But Grayson wasn't going to leave me alone. There was something about his voice though. The same something as there was when I was on a phone call with him. Was he drunk? "Why don't we go for a walk?"