Chapter 32

Back to Amber's POV:

Sitting on the couch with Avery sitting across from me was as awkward as it could get. She was my sister but Xander was there and so were Grayson and Jameson. Very awkward. We sit in silence. Avery wants me to tell her what happened, but I can't. I don't remember everything. Grayson was the only one who might remember but he was drunk so... he might not?

"Bear," Avery says. She looks me dead in the eye. "Where were you? I went to check in on you and you weren't there. Grayson and Jameson weren't anywhere either. I was going to ask Oren but he was gone as well."

"I have no idea what you are talking about," I say quickly. I didn't want to talk about it, especially with the Hawthorne brothers here.

"Amber, why do you keep doing this? You keep putting your life on the line and for what? You keep pushing me away. Everyone away." Avery says her voice quite loud.

"Oh, really?! Do I look like a give a s***?!" I say swearing. I didn't usually swear at Avery but seriously? I cross my arms and lay back. A smile still on my face.

"AMBER" Avery shouts.

"Why is everyone shouting at me today?" I mutter making sure it is loud enough to be heard. First Grayson then Oren, Jameson after him, and now Avery.

"Everyone?" Avery asks her voice still loud.

"Yeesh. You're giving me a bigger headache. Just get to the point." I say in a low voice. The smile that is usually on my face gone.

"I just want to know where you were," Avery says her voice softer. Her face was full of worry.

"Uggh. I just went on a walk in the forest" That wasn't a lie. I refuse to make eye contact.

"Look at me when you are talking!" Avery exclaims.

"Oh yeah? Well, you're not my mother." I reply and get up quickly, Avery does as well.

"Amber, you're my sister. I want to know if you are safe."

"Think of it this way then. Am I dead? If I am not then I am safe." I can see Xander standing uncomfortably by the door from the corner of my eye. My phone buzzes in the pockets of my pajamas. We stop our conversation with a long stare at my phone. I take it out. What was it?

We're closer than you think.

The air in the room disappears. I stop breathing. I put on a fake smile and quickly turn off my phone and look all around. The brothers look at me with raised eyebrows. Then my phone starts ringing. I turn it on again. The same number. My smile weakened, I don't know what to do.

"Amber?" Avery asks me putting a hand on my shoulder. I swat it away and pick up the phone call. I don't want them to worry. I don't want them to think it is someone I shouldn't be talking to.

"Hello?" I say into the phone pressed on my ear.

"I didn't think you would pick up," says a familiar voice. The Sheriff.

"Oh yeah? Well, you put me in a tight spot" I laugh and sit back down on the couch.

"You think you can't be touched don't you?" The Sheriff says sounding evil.

"Well, not really. I can definitely be touched. I caught him by the way." I chuckle looking anywhere but at Avery who stands in front of me.

"Amber, who are you talking to?" Xander asks from behind me. Completely ignoring the question I continue. I gesture for all of them to leave, but they probably won't.

"Someone else there? The brothers except for Nash? He is with the ever so lovely sister of yours. Oh but wait. She isn't your sister, is she? Libby was it? Where is she right now?"