Chapter 33

I stare at my phone walking to Rosie's room. My head still pounding. Oren told Alisa to take me to the hospital just in case something was wrong once we got back. So what if I was out for three hours? I have a lot on my plate. They probably wouldn't find anything anyways. I remove the cover of my phone looking for something, anything. Was he tracking me through the phone? Did Liam put something in it? I not only need a new phone number, but I also need a new phone. Stopping just in front of Rosie's door almost missing it I knock.

"Hello?" I call out. There is a loud thump and shuffling. Was she okay? She opens the door with such force it sends her flying. "Are you okay?!" I ask her laughing. She laughs back and I hold out a hand for her to hold.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Is everything okay with you?"

"We're leaving in an hour," I tell her and she turns to look around her room.

"I don't remember if I brought anything..." She mutters slowly. "Where were you? I heard Ave looking for you" She smiles.

"Oh, me? I might have had a little walk in the woods with Grayson" I chuckle. Her jaw drops and she pulls me into the room slamming the door shut.

"Do tell... What happened with Jameson?"

"I'll tell you the short version of everything. So, I went down to the hot tub, and as you said Jameson was there but he didn't look sad." I eye her and she giggles. "I talk to him about the puzzle right? So I was sitting on the edge not entering then he comes to sit next to me and pulls me into the water!"

"EEEK"

"Yes, eek. We talk a little more and then we..." I feel my cheeks flushing. Rosie is grinning like an idiot. "We kissed," I say quietly. She lets out a loud shriek. I hear footsteps outside her door. "Shhhh" 

"You kissed?!" She whisper shouts.

"Yeah. So I went back in the house and sort of fell asleep for an hour when there is a knocking at the secret passageway in my room. So, I open it and Grayson is there. We talk a bit and decide to go on a walk... But then I found out he was drunk and he ran into the woods and I chased after him. He stopped and like umm... slumped to the floor and I looked around but Oren wasn't there. No one was there. So you know Grayson starts shouting we have a little fight then we forgive each other and we explore The Cabin." Rosie starts frowning.

"You fought?" She asks me.

"Nothing serious. Don't worry, he was just drunk. There was hand holding and head lifting involved." Rosie covers her mouth with a hand and lets out a squeal. "Exactly, so all this time I am feeling sort of dizzy okay? I thought that I was just tired." Rosie was frowning again. "I'm okay now... I think I am okay now. Well anyways on the walk back home I pass out."

"YOU WHAT?!" Rosie shouts I cover her hand and she nods.

"So I pass out and I wake up lying on the floor with snow cleared and I was wearing Grayson's jacket. There was a campfire as well but no Grayson. This is when I start panicking and then Grayson appears and then you know... he comforts me." Rosie was grinning again with her hand hovering above her mouth. "He helps me get up and walk and stuff so... our bodies were really close..." I say in a hushed voice. "Then we have the I'm sorry for blah blah blah conversation then. We kiss." Rosie lets out a louder shriek again and I cover her mouth. This time Xander slams the door open. 

"What is going on in here?!" He asks looking at my hand on her mouth. He frowns looking us up and down.

"Ummm... There was a spider but don't worry I threw it out the window." I say quickly but Xander knows I am lying. He raises an eyebrow. "I'll tell you later" I chuckle and he nods leaving the room. 

"So what happened after that?!" She whisper shouts.

"He was really happy and smiling but then Oren and Jameson appeared. So both Grayson and Jameson decided to carry me home and they carried me in what they call a throne made of their hands. It was really uncomfortable. Not physically. Mentally. I had kissed both those boys in a matter of hours... then we make it home and Avery appears and she is mad at me and starts yelling but then I get a phone call..."

"What was the phone call about?" She asks me smiling.

"Promise you won't tell anyone?" I ask her holding out my pinky. She frowns at me, she knows it was someone I shouldn't be on a phone call with. She sighs and holds out her pinky.

"Promise" We made a pinky promise. She couldn't break it.

"I was on a phone call with a stalker," I say quickly.

"AMBER!" She shouts. Xander bursts in again. 

"AMBER!" He shouts looking at the both of us.

"Were you eavesdropping?!" I ask incredulously. My eyes are wide with shock. He looks down at the floor. How could he?! He was meant to be my best friend... was he jealous of Rosie? She was my best friend as well... Why is everything so difficult?!

"I might have been..." He mumbles. I storm out of the room, not knowing what to say. What to feel. "Amber!" Xander calls out to me. "Don't be mad please!" He calls out again as I jump down the stairs landing in a crouch. That felt dangerous. I accomplished it. It made me feel good. Xander was running down the stairs. I was going to let him chase me. I run into the dining room finding Nash and Libby there at the table. Nash watches me run towards the other door as Xander chases after me.

"Woah there. Don't hurt yourselves" Nash calls out but I was already out of the room. Xander was close behind me. Where do I go now? Downstairs? I jump down the stairs. Feeling as if I am going to fall and land in a crouch again. It felt amazing. I run down the hall and slam open the closest door. This was where Xander and Max had inspected the fan. I run in. There was a door that led outside. Should I? Then enter through the backdoor? I heard Xander behind me. He was fast. I wasn't. I open the door and close it. Holding it there.

"Amy Bear, don't be mad," Xander says his voice full of worry. I let him believe I was still holding the door and run. I turn the corner and I hear the door open. Xander realized what had happened. I look behind me he wasn't there. I look up at the roof. I could climb up it. I step on the edge of a protruding flower box by the front door and jump. Holding onto the very edge. Using all my strength I swing myself up. I was on the lower section of the roof. I could climb another flower box and go to the top. "Amy Bear?!" I hear Xander call as he runs past the roof. He didn't know I was up here. I climb onto another flower box and reach for a log that is sticking out where it meets another log. Carefully climbing onto it, I feel my foot slipping.

"No, no, no, no, no!" I say but I jump off and grab the roof just in time. A feeling of relief spreads through me I push off against a wooden support and I climb onto the roof. No one could find me here unless they really searched for me. Had anyone else ever come here? Toby might have he was the kind to want to escape from everything. I mean he literally escaped from his family after finding out about his adoption... Was that the only reason or was there more? I walk over to the largest chimney and lean against it. Could I hear anything? 

(1365 words)