Chapter 38

We all waited for Avery to finish searching the vault in Xander's lab. It is boring as hell. We're just sitting here waiting for Avery to come, so we... I mean they can search Zara's wing if the ring isn't in the vault. I mean it probably isn't in the vault if it was given to Zara. Right? Still, we stay here sitting. I almost want The Sheriff to call me. To make me less bored. It is fun and scary talking to him. What is going on with me?

"So! I was just wondering if-" Rosie starts but I give her a dangerous look. She stops, I don't want her to continue that sentence. It was going to make everyone uncomfortable, I don't want that. "If-. Okay! Jeez! I'll ask something else!"

"No, do continue," Jameson says playfully glancing at me. He is wondering why I stopped her, and from what he already knows about Rosie, he probably put two and two together.

"No Rosie. Don't listen to him!" I say but she has a wicked grin on her face. "Fine! Be prepared to get uncomfortable!" I say surrendering, my hands in the air. "This one seems to be aimed at me," I mutter.

"Now, I was just wondering if you would like to meet Kyle!" She squeals. Oh god no. NO.

"Rosie," I say my voice dangerously low.

"Amber! I didn't even know your voice could go that low!" Xander pipes up. I laugh.

"Only when I feel like it," I say normally. "And Rosie? No."

"I for one would love to meet him," Xander says getting a small slap from Max. Max and Xander. 

"You can adopt him if you want!" Rosie squeaks.

"Rosie, no one is adopting your brother," I add and she looks around the room.

"You guys really missed a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," she sighs.

"I for one would adopt him," Jameson says and I jerk my head to the side to look at him. I feel myself frowning.

"The ring wasn't there," Someone says from behind us. Avery. "And who do you want to adopt?" 

"Oh! Adopt my brother!" Rosie squeaks.

"Of course, the ring wasn't there, Zara has it," I say softly and Avery nods at me. She was confirming it to be true. 

"You're going to need someone to run interference if you want to search Zara's wing," Grayson says from beside me... Oh, how have I just noticed this? Jameson sits to my left and Grayson to my right... 

"Gray excels at distraction," Jameson says lying against the back of the couch and looking directly at his brother. "I attribute it to his uncanny ability to be boring and long-winded on cue."

"We'll need to make sure Constantine stays clear too," Grayson says avoiding Jameson's comment, which was a smart choice. I mean this is Grayson Davenport Hawthorne we are talking about here.

"Okay, Grayson can distract. Anyone else?" I say looking at the group of girls on the other side of the coffee table.

"I, too excel at the art of distraction. I attribute it to my ability to channel any or all of my favorite fictional spies on cue." Max volunteers, I bite my bottom lip to keep my laughter in. 

"Grayson and Max can set up a perimeter." Xander's voice doesn't sound right. Is it because of Max? "Jameson, Avery, and I will do a sweep of the wing."

"And Rosie?" I ask. Getting a series of gestures from Xander, and she is staying with me. "Rosie congratulations! Your job is babysitting me..." I mutter and she has a smile on her face. "Why do you look so happy?"

"We haven't spent much time together in a long time! We can catch up!" She smiles, I nod and she stands up walking towards me. She pulls me up in a second.