Chapter 16

Everyone had left the room but before he could I stopped him.

"Grayson?" He turned around and looked at me raising an eyebrow. He was listening. "We found something."

"That something being?"

"Being the reason we went to see Skye" A voice says climbing out of the cupboard. Jameson. 

"You didn't knock" I state.

"Didn't need to"

"Why did you go see Skye?" Grayson asks.

"Colin's way was founded by Colin Anders Wright's uncle. Colin was one of the victims of the fire at Hawthorne island." Jameson says softly. He didn't want to see his brother upset.

"And?" Jameson looks at me. Was he asking me to tell him? How would I?

I gulp. "The uncle's name? Sheffield Grayson" I feel a shiver in my body. A tingling sensation. Everywhere. 

"So you went to see Skye." Grayson turned to me. "Alone" He said the last word slowly and without emotion. It felt like there was no more air left in the room.

"She confirmed it, Gray. He's your father" Jameson said smooth. He didn't want to see his brother unhappy. But he had no choice.

"There is no way the old mn didn't know. For twenty years, Colin's way was in his will. Whas he trying to make a point to Skye?" Grayson says. No emotion.

"Or was it a clue? Think about it, Gray. He left a clue for us in the newer will. Maybe that wasn't an old trick, one he'd used before."

"This isn't a clue. This is my" I shouldn't be here but I was. It was in my room. My bare room. They were talking about personal things. In my room. My body was telling me to leave but my brain? It was telling me to stay.

"I know. Gray, if you let this be a game it doesn't have to hurt." 

"Nothing has to matter," Grayson glances at me "unless you let it. Sheffield Grayson might know something about the fire, about your father Amber"

"Yeah, he might. You don't have to continue playing if you don't want to" I say.

"Continue playing?" Jameson says. Looking at Grayson then me.

"Yes, if I can't stop any of you from playing. I can at least make sure that someone with a modicum of common sense oversees the process." Grayson states.

"I'll arrange for a plane. We leave at dawn" Jameson says.

---

As Jameson said they left at dawn and I was going to leave for Connecticut. I got the clear to go. But there would be a member of Oren's security team on the corner of every street I go to. Sitting on a bench, or eating at a cafe. I also had a tracker on my earring just in case I get lost.

I was going to my old home and Nash was coming. Nash was chosen to come with me. By my protection. Grayson and Jameson were in Phoenix, Arizona and Xander needed to go to school. He didn't even know I was going. 

I cancelled Rosie's flight to the day I was leaving Connecticut so that we could be on the same flight. She was bummed but she got over it in a second when I told her that there was going to be a surprise waiting for her at Hawthorne house. 

The earring had a small tracking device so Oren's team knew where I was. If I pressed the tracker three times it meant I needed help. Oren's team would get notified and come find me.

I went to school and found Xander and Avery talking in the hallway. I walked past them. They didn't even notice. I made it to my locker and I found Jameson's friends there. One of them called out to me.

"Hey, you"

"You has a name."

"Where is Jamie?"

"Why?"

"He wasn't at practice today"

"And? Doesn't he go missing a lot of the time?"

"Yes but-"

"So why ask me?" I smile sarcastically.

"You're cute"

"Just sarcastic"

"He means you look cute" Another said. I drop my smile, scoff and roll my eyes.

"What would happen if Jamie found out about what you said?"

"Jamie would agree" Another chuckles.

"Whatever." I slam my locker closed and walked away. Bastards. Who was friends with them? Jameson. How can one be friends with them? I remember my conversation. I called Jameson, Jamie... Why?! I run to the library to get away from everything. I wanted to remember. Something. Something that makes me remember the mans face. I felt a hand on my wrist.

He shoves me into the warehouse. There are other people there. Twenty? They all look at me. The Sherrif's hands on my wrists forcing my hands behind my back and another hand on my shoulders. "Everyone meet Amber." He puts a hand under my chin. "She is new here. An addition to the family" He drawls. "You all can perform it alone?". He cocks his head and looks at the group. Everyone nods. "I got somewhere to be. If it isn't done when I come back. You all know what happens correct?" Everyone nods again. He leaves us all alone. "Where am I?" I ask, everyone looks sad. "You got yourself into an unescapable mess. It is only going to hurt a little bit okay?" A man says. "What is going to hurt?" I ask. "You'll see" There is a pain in my head and I fall.

---

I wake up on the floor with a pain in my back. Why my back? What did they do to my back? What about my head? What had happened? "You woke up" A lady smiles. "What did they do to me?" I ask. "Shh. It is ok. You'll never see it." She responds. They did something to my back. What was it? Was it still there?"I want my mummy." I cry. "What are you doing here then?" She asks frowning. "The man took me. He found me. I ran away from my mum because she told me she was dying" I cry. "It is ok sweety. Amber was it? Such a pretty name."

I snap back. Looking at the hand on my wrist. I was sitting in the middle of the library. I hadn't remembered his face again. I wanted to remember his face. Why couldn't I remember it? I got different memories instead. Nothing to do with his face. I look at the hand again. I look at its owner.

"Xan Deer?" I ask.

"Amy Bear. You snapped out of it."

"Yeah. I can't remember his face. Gosh I keep remembering other stupid things but not his face. I remember most of the people there but never him. Why?"

"Your brain is forgetting him purposely"

"Well then my brain is stupid."

"It isn't. Where are my brothers?"

"Phoenix, Arizona" I say.

"What are they doing there?"

"We told Grayson about his father and your brothers decided to go there."

"Amber why did you tell him?" I hear a voice. Avery's. 

"Was I not meant to?" I cock my head to the side.

"Whatever. What are you doing on the floor?"

"Do you remember?"

"Remember what?"

"When I went missing. When I was gone?"

"What?"

"You don't do you"

"Tell me"

"No, after it is over"

"You never tell me anything Amber. Why? We're sisters."

"Half-sister" I mutter quietly so that no-one can hear. Xander heard it though. He sighed and rubbed my wrist. "Why don't you search my name up? Go to the very first online post? Make sure you add New Castle, Connecticut." I stand up with Xander's help.

"Where is your boot?" Xander whispers in my ear.

"At home. I don't want it." Xander nods and I walk away.