Chapter 36

Driving back home from the hospital I don't know what to feel... I now know why I was out. Who would do such a thing? How would they get such a thing? Why would they do such a thing? How did they do it? We park in front of the house and I slam the door open and close. Who? What? Where? When? Why? Storming up to the front door I open it gently this time. I don't want anyone to think something was wrong. I walk in. Nobody is there. I head for my room. Who? The Sheriff maybe? What? A drug. Where? Where would I have... at the ski lodge, when I was having my hot chocolate. That was the only time I ate or drank something that day. When? While drinking my hot chocolate? Why? That was what I want to know. The Sheriff wants me back to kill me himself... or does he even want to kill me? I bump into something. I walk into something. Taking a step back I look up. Grayson Hawthorne... I walked into Grayson Hawthorne.

"Sorry," I say stepping to the side and he steps to the same side after me. I step to the other and he does the same. "Need something?"

"Is everything okay? With you?"

"Yeah, it is not like I am hanging together by a thread," I shrug because that was the truth. I feel as if I am hanging by a thread. Will Grayson notice? I tried not to be sarcastic, but he frowns. My phone buzzes. Pulling it out Grayson watches my movements. The Sheriff's contact. I will cut that thread. It sends shivers down my spine. I text back. Hmm... Will you? Because I was planning on cutting it myself. I turn my phone off and look at Grayson. He stands there looking at the phone in my hands.

"Who was it?" Grayson asks making me seem suspicious.

"It was- Alisa. She wants me to go to my room." I say and he nods. He believes me. I turn to leave but he grabs my arm and holds it tightly.

"Amber. Show me the text" Grayson asks me glaring.

"Why? Do you not believe me?"

"Just, show me the text" My phone starts ringing. Was it Alisa? If so she was saving me. The Sheriff. I pick up.

"Hello? Alisa? I am heading there now... Thank you" I say.

"We wouldn't want to be busted would we?" The Sheriff says his voice sending shivers. "I will cut that thread, you won't even have the chance to. I am closer than you think."

"Ok, see you soon," I say and hang up. Grayson lets go of my arm and I start to walk away. But I hear running and I am soon lifted up, my feet no longer touching the floor, they swivel me around. Grayson was lifting me up. "Hey!" I exclaim, trying to get out of his grip but he doesn't move one bit, instead, he throws me onto his shoulder. Why must I be so small? I hope I grow sometime soon. "Let me down, Grayson Davenport Hawthorne!" I shout his full name and he just laughs. I try to get out of his grip but I can't.

"You sound like my mother." He laughs and carries me off, down some stairs and through many hallways. We stop.

"Grayson Hawthorne! What on earth do you think you are doing?!" I hear a female voice. Not Avery or Libby. Not Alisa or Mrs. Laughlin. Zara?

"I'm taking her to Xander," Grayson replies followed by a few held-in laughs.

"Please help, I don't even want to go there. Grayson here just picked me up and threw me over his shoulder when I tried to leave" I shout. I hear Zara laugh. I huff and cross my arms. 

"Well see you later then. You wouldn't happen to know where your mother has gone do you?" Zara asks Grayson. He freezes slightly. 

"I have no idea. Mother left on her own volition." Grayson replies. 

Zara walks past us and she turns back around to study me. A small smile on her face. Grayson continues walking and he opens a door. Was she happy? To see Grayson happy? Or was it just really weird to look at?