Chapter 40: The Sequel

The two lovers laid on the bed for two hours talking about everything and nothing, from why Maddy's father drinks to how Teddy's favorite film made her feel. They didn't realize time had passed till they simultaneously reached the packet of jellybeans that laid between them and didn't get any.

"Oh shit, we finished it!"

Maddy laughed, "Really? You don't think anybody wanted it right?"

"At a party filled with teenagers doing drugs and having sex? I don't think so," Teddy answered, "We just have to make sure that Daniel doesn't find out."

They chuckled.

Realizing that they had grown thirsty, they left the room and slowly made their way to the bar. They got themselves some fruit punch and added a bit too much of Mr. Dimarco's very expensive rum which someone had pulled out of the cupboard. They moved to the less populated kitchen, took a single sip and looked up from their cups to see Lexi, Rue and Jules heading their way. Maddy said, "Hey! What have you guys been up to?"

The three of them shrugged like nothing had happened the entire evening- no fighting, no crying, no helping someone cover up for a crime.

Lexi tried to divert the attention and teasingly said, "We should ask you where you both have been!"

Teddy chuckled and said, "Just talking." The couple leaned against the kitchen island.

"Oh really? Then what happened to your wigs?"

Lexi was referring to the fact that they were no longer wearing their 2-for-5-dollar wigs. Maddy said, "It was very annoying, so we threw it away."

"Getting in the middle of something, huh?" They laughed.

Jules, with a wide smile, interrupted and squealed, "I came for another drink!"

Rue went ahead and tried to talk Jules out of filling her cup with what she would vomit hours later. Lexi turned away from them and pitifully said, "She got drunk."

"Obviously," Maddy sneered looking at Jules, who was focused on not spilling any of the precious liquid while pushing away Rue. Maddy turned to Teddy, who was looking at Jules and Rue with pity, and said, "You were right. It was a good idea to only start drinking later."

With an uncomfortably agreeing thin-lipped smile, Teddy raised her cup to her left where Maddy stood. "Cheers."

"Chee-" Her smile dropped in the turn of a second. Teddy and Lexi got scared and turned to the direction in which stood the sight that drained Maddy of her color.

Everyone, from the door to the kitchen, had quietened down to whispers. They stared at the boy around five inches taller than Teddy. He kidnapped everyone's attention in his navy full sleeve shirt and black jeans, dragging his steps to where Maddy stood. Teddy placed her glass on the island. Everyone outside the kitchen and the hallway were blissfully unaware of the fact that an "alleged" assaulter was in the house.

Nate was blocked from getting to Maddy by Teddy, who stretched one arm to hold Maddy back protectively. Her other arm stretched towards him in the blue, purple and pink lights. Her voice and smile had fallen, she had changed into her fight face in a second. "What're you doing here Jacob?"

"It's 'Jacobs'," he said, his voice falling deep enough to match hers.

"Do I look like I give a fuck?"

He was calm. "I just want to speak to Maddy."

She turned back to look at Maddy, who looked up at Nate with fear powdered thickly over her makeup. She took it as a no. Teddy looked back at Nate. "Well, she doesn't want to talk to you."