Chapter 4: The Interrogation

Maddy sat one seat diagonally behind Sonia in bio that day to check her out. Maddy had to admit to that she was pretty even in her green cargo pants and black oversized tee. Her hair is so long and thick, yet she always ties it down. She could do better with a bit of a makeover.

Maddy realized it was time to begin the test. She leaned towards Sonia when the teacher turned away and called her in a whisper. "Hey Sonia."

Sonia turned to her right and said, "Hey. What's up?"

"You got an extra pencil?"

"Yeah. Just a sec," Sonia said and she opened her pouch and hunted for a pencil. In the meantime, the dude behind Sonia offered Maddy a pencil. Maddy took it and she tossed it behind without a single care. Mr. Ramirez and Sonia didn't notice it.

When Sonia was able to finally pull an extra pencil out, she sharpened it and gave it to Maddy with a soft smile. Maddy smiled back, her heart baring wings. She fucking gave me her pencil after sharpening it! What's that supposed to mean? And she didn't have a smirk or that excited face or anything, she was just calm! Okay... I need to calm down. Okay. Next test.

Maddy quickly wrote down in a piece of paper, with the basic orange pencil which was making her blush, "How would you react if I told you that I'm pregnant?" She folded the small piece of paper and passed it to Sonia.

She looked at Maddy and asked with a hand 'For who?'. Maddy pointed at her, 'You'. With furrowed eyebrows Sonia unfolded the paper and her eyes widened after reading the message. Sonia wrote away her reply and seeing the speed of her hand, Maddy grew anxious.

The tiny paper that held the words of destiny to Maddy arrived after what felt like half an hour, which in reality was just two minutes. It read
"I'd have a few questions. First, are you alright? Was it consented sex? Second, why are you trusting me with this? Third, is this why you asked for my pencil?

PS: do you need me to beat "someone" up?"

Maddy chuckled and the teacher saw it. "Ms. Perez, is there a joke you'd like to share with us?"

She stood up, "No sir."

"Then sit down and pay attention. The next question is for you."

"Yes sir."

Sonia discreetly turned back and mouthed 'Sorry' and Maddy gestured back with a smile 'It's alright.'

*****

After Bio ended, Sonia quickly dumped her stuff into her bag and waited for Maddy. She stared at Maddy's bag which was too tiny for her notebooks and textbook. What does she even fit in that?

Maddy looked up, surprised to see Sonia waiting. "Hey...", she said smiling, "Thanks for waiting for me."

"It's nothing." Sonia asked with a lifted eyebrow, "What's with the note?"

"Nothing," Maddy blankly replied walking out of the class with her.

"Are you alright though? I heard what happened with Nate."

She gulped, "Yeah. I know what everybody thinks but... everything's good."

"Well, if you ever need to talk to someone on Earth, I'm here. ..No offense to your friends."

"What do you mean "someone on Earth"?" She stopped in front of Sonia in the empty hallway, hands crossed over her chest. I bet she's gonna say that it's cause I'm a party whore.

Staring down at Maddy, being taller by just an inch, Sonia panicked. "Uh... Well, you know, how you're at the top of the school's hierarchy, right? So like, I'm saying that in that way you're in your heaven, with your friends and parties, while I'm in "hell". So, we have different ways of seeing things and if you ever want a different perspective, I offer my services. That's all." She ended it with a smile, knowing that she explained it well from Maddy's softened eyes.

After a second of silence, Maddy asked, "You think that my life is heaven? Is that what you want in life?"

"I don't think it is heaven. That's why I said I'm here if you wanted a friend. Otherwise, you wouldn't need me, right?"

"....I guess."

"Are you sure you're alright?" she asked chuckling, "You're not the Maddy I've known all these years."

Maddy's heart gasped and the bell saved her. She looked away and said, "I need to get to class. See you around later?" She immediately walked away to her next class, not waiting for a reply, and took a seat next to Barbara.

Meanwhile, Sonia stood in the hallway with her feet stuck. What happened just now? What am I doing? I should stop talking too much, I'll get killed.

-------

AN: I hope you liked this chapter. The fun's just beginning.

xoxo,

Perse