Chapter 17: Movie Night (Part 2)

"What about you? What do you wanna do?"

Maddy looked back at him. "I don't know yet."

"Perfect, just like Sonny."

Sonia froze for a second before continuing to open the brown glass bottles. Evie asked Jacob with her hands and face, 'What the fuck bro??'

Maddy didn't see it and asked, "What's that supposed to mean?"

Sonia answered before anyone else could lie. "He means that I also don't have a particular aim."

Maddy looked up at Sonia who walked over with the bottles and handed them out. "Really?"

"Is that a surprise?" asked Sonia, with an eyebrow raise and tone that made her slightly masculine. It gave Maddy a bit of the chills.

"Yeah... Of all the people in this group I thought you'd be the one to have a proper idea of what you want to do. You're the philosopher. No offense."

A chorus of "None taken" echoed. Maddy continued, "So you have no plans after graduation?" The room went uncomfortably quiet, they knew Sonny's take on the topic.

I don't wanna talk about this. Sonia said, "I... have one more year to decide on something and till I decide on a course or anything, I'll work at my dad's shop, uncle's shop or somewhere." She could completely not like me now. She took a swig of the beer.

"Hmm..." What will they say if she also chooses not to go to college? It's fine, she'll be able to earn something and her scores must be convincing enough. Wait. Will we even be long term? Don't think about that now! "....At least you have somewhere to work and pay bills. I don't have that or an interest that I can make money out of."

"Really?" asked Joel.

She blankly said, "Yeah."

"Come on, you must like something that's monetizable." Maddy shook her head.

Everyone, including Sonia, was quite shocked Ms. Popular didn't have even a clue of something she'd wanted to be.

Then Evie got an idea, "Ooh! What if we went through all the things you like and suggest all the related jobs."

How do I tell them that I don't want to work? HOW DO I TELL SONIA?? I think she'll be the one that takes it the worst! "....Okay..." 

Sonia took a sip not liking where things were going.

Remember, be humble. "One, I like doing my makeup and hair-"

Tony replied right away, "That's easy! Make-up artist, cosmetologist, hairdresser, colorist, etcetera etcetera."

"No... I don't want to fall into the stereotype of popular high school girls becoming nothing and working for someone as an adult."

"Then own a saloon," exclaimed Evie.

"It's a very tough market. Do you know how hard it is to get employees? People are reluctant to work or let their kids work at saloons and very few places that offer good courses and fewer people who know how to do the work with quality," she answered with no snark, hoping that they'd think she's smart as well.

"Hmm..." Maybe it's cause of people like you who think so highly of themselves bitch!

"And that's only labor. What about a store to set it up?"

Sonia thought to herself, This isn't gonna end well. Everyone's taking this seriously. But... Maddy's replying to everything very lightly. This may end up being advantageous to her. "...What else do you like?"

"Fashion and music, but I can't sing really."

Jake said, "Another easy one! Fashion designer."

"Another tough industry. Every additional branch set up only results in more environmental damage and it would take years of research to come up with genuinely eco-friendly and tons of money to do... you know, the research and production."

"Wow, you really know your shit," said Joel.

"Yeah, I watch a lot of videos and read things." That come up in Vogue. They would think worse of me if they knew. I bet they're laughing at me right now. God, I wanna beat 'em up and run away.

"Wait, are you into environmental activism?" asked Melissa slowly getting excited.

"Yeah... but like not exactly," she answered.

"I'm asking because I have this friend on Tumblr who's this huge activist with people working under her in DC and New York. Even Rahul, Sonny's brother, works parttime with them. She's amazing, super intellectual and ethical and she's always been talking about expanding. So, you know, if you could get in touch with her, you could head the California branch! You'd not be working under her, but with her!"

"Uh...That's cool! But I don't think I've made any contribution to saving the environment and... I don't think it's... right for me to be a part of something so incredible without any... uh.. credibility!"

Sonia had been watching Maddy's body language display how she uncomfortable she grew. So when Melissa genuinely said, "That's alright! You have a long life to live and lots of time to build your credibility. Plus, you actually get to make money off of it. SO it's not a free goodwill thing and you can be the manager of this branch!" and Maddy trailed off, "Yeah... I...", Sonia took it as the cue to break the conversation.

Sonia said, "Okay. That's enough. Did we all really come here to talk about what we're gonna do after school? I thought we came for movies!" The awkwardness blasted through the curtains and took a bow. "So how about you guys set up the projector while I show Maddy the lake?"

"I thought we were going swimming tomorrow," said Jake.

"We will if we wake up before 8. But the lake at sunset is different right? I wanna show her that."

"ok"

"You wanna come right?" Sonia asked as she got up Maddy and held her left hand out.

"Yeah." Maddy took Sonia's hand and got up. They instantly left each others hands. It'd be creepy to hold her hand without a reason.

"'Kay, see you later," Sonia said waving at her friends with the free left hand after opening the door with the right hand that was holding the bottle, and they left. Maddy first, then Sonia.

-------

AN: I hope you liked the two chapters of Movie Night!!! If you did, please leave a vote!

         Next chapter comes Monday! Until then,

         Love,
         Persephone