Chapter 20: Moonlight

Usually Tony and the ladies took the mattress, but this time Maddy took Sonia's place on it and Sonia slept in one of the sleeping bags. After two rounds of 'Rock, Paper, Scissors' Maddy scored one of the edges of the mattress. In the meanwhile, Sonia and the guys had gotten cozy in their plastic cocoons. Jake took position next to Tony's edge and Joel forced Sonia sleep closer to Maddy. She took her place an arm's length away from Maddy's side since she hadn't told them about what happened at the lake.

Maddy was the last one to use the small bathroom and by the time she finished her nighttime routine, the lights were off and everybody had fallen asleep, except Sonia. Maddy had a tiny jump-scare when she came out of the small bathroom to find Sonia's face lit up by her phone.

Sonia got up and quietly asked, "Are you okay?"

Maddy walked over, "Yeah. Got scared because of the light on your face."

"Oh sorry," she said keeping her phone under her pillow.

"It's okay," she said carefully getting under the shared sheet with only the moonlight to guide her. When she finally rested her head to her left, she saw Sonia facing the ceiling with a hand above her eyes. "Sonia... Did you sleep?"

She immediately removed her hand and said, "No." She turned over to Maddy, "What's up?"

"Nothing... I'm not feeling sleepy yet."

"Oh...
...Did you have fun today?"

"Yeah. I had a great time." She smiled softly.

"Cool. I had fun too! I-It's not like I haven't had fun all the other times we've been here without you, I have had fun. Tons of fun. Laughed my ass off-" Maddy chuckled and Sonia stopped rambling. I screwed it up didn't I? The 'we're friends!' thing, I'm screwing it up.

Maddy wanted to see Sonia's face. So she took her phone, turned on the torch and placed it in the space between them. Even under this terrible light, she looks perfect. They smiled at each other. "Why're you nervous?"

"I don't know, you tell me."

"Is it because a pretty girl is looking at you?"

"Maybe... I won't say you're the prettiest one who has looked at me though." What??

"Hey..."

"I'm kidding..." Should I shoot my shot now? ".... I only said that 'cause I don't wanna lose you for not being up to your level, because I'm boring." Her face lost its playfulness but Maddy only gained it.

"And when did I become yours to lose?" she asked with a smirk.

I could say that I meant it as a friend! No. "...I-I don't know."

"How about you take me on a date and... we discuss if I'm really yours to lose or not?"

Her smile returned. "..Yeah. I'm down for it."

"Tomorrow night?"

"8?"

"Yeah."

"Okay."

OH MY GOD, IT HAPPENED!!! WE'RE GOING ON A DATE!!! They softly giggled while Jake and Tony celebrated in silence and happy dances with their hands.

"So... What're you gonna wear for Halloween?"

"I haven't decided yet."

"It's literally two weeks later."

"Two weeks, no? There's time to choose. ...But I don't know if we're going to a party or get together at someone's place and just watching horror films."

"Well, there's a party at Daniel's place and I'm going. So if you wanna... find me, you know where to come."

Sonia chuckled.  As a joke, she asked, "And what if, after we go on a few dates, we realize that we don't work together or ended in a fight?"

Maddy took it seriously but answered it with hope. "If... we don't work together, we'll still be friends right? So you can still come and we'll all party together. If we end in a stupid fight, come and fix things. If it was a serious fight, forget everything. Everything from tonight."

Sonia didn't understand that it wasn't a joke to her and continued with a chuckle, "What am I, a machine to forget everything on command? Also, what would indicate if the "fight" was serious or stupid?"

This time she lost the joy in her face. "...I don't know.."

"And if the fight was serious but it was the kind where one of us was at fault, shouldn't I come find you and make it up to you sooner?" Jake and Tony were internally groaning and shaking their head at her in the shadows, tired of Sonia being deaf.

"...And what if it's my fault? Where will I meet you? ...I didn't think it through..." She stared at the wooden floor to keep from crying.

That was when she finally understood that Maddy was taking this round of "light" questions very seriously. 

"Hey...." she said as she took her left hand away from her chest and softly touched Maddy's cheek. Maddy looked up at Sonny's ghostly face and Sonia saw her glossy doe eyes. "Everything's alright, okay? Don't worry.. Nothing's happened yet. We haven't even... been on a date yet! It's just an imaginary argument that hasn't happened yet.  Maybe... it won't even happen. Who knows? Plus, if anything ever goes wrong, even in the tiniest way, you can always call me. I have a ton of call credit so you can give me a missed call and I'll call you back and we can talk for hours. Even on school days!"

Maddy chuckled. "God, you're weird."

Sonny took her hand off and Maddy wiped the premature tears. "And that's what you're gettin' into. It's not a bad weird, in my opinion. I think it's a good weird."

"Like Hot Tub Time Machine?"

"Somewhat like Hot Tub Time Machine. Hopefully better." They chuckled.

God, that's embarrassing. Why did I cry? If I lose her, I can find another good person. ...But by then, I will prove him right. I can't allow that. Ever. I hate him with everything in me. Maddy sniffled. "I'm sorry."

"For what? Feeling things?"

"As if you never say sorry when you don't need to."

"I do.... but that doesn't mean it validates others apologizing needlessly! I try not to say it and encourage others not to either which is what I did right now. So you can't say shit."

They quietly laughed. "Okay, okay Ms. Philosopher. Good night."

She sweetly said, "Good night." I love you.

Love you. They smiled at each other with all of what their young hearts felt and closed their eyes hoping to see each other in their dreams.

-------

AN: I hope you liked the chapter!!! It finally happened! They're going on a date! Or are they?? Find out on Monday.

If you liked this chapter, please vote on it. Till the next time,

Ciao,
Perse