Chapter 25: Awkward Dinner

AN: The above pic is for reference to what her bedroom looks like. dw :)

-------

The kids very calmly, occasionally taking glances at each other and blushing, had the remainder of their dinner. The adults, on the other hand, didn't know whether they should be terrified or amazed by their guest; he was set on being amazed but she was set on being terrified. For the first time, the husband and wife wanted to talk to each other desperately.

As the kids were about to empty their plates, Sonia casually asked, "So... have you decided what you are going to do after school?"

Fuck. Sonny cleared her throat before replying, "No, not yet. But... I will be taking an aptitude test later and I've been keeping my marks up. So getting an admission somewhere good, if not a scholarship, shouldn't be a problem."

Sonia nodded, "Hmm... Maybe you should also take the test, mija. She also doesn't have an idea yet about what she wants to do."

Fuck. Maddy said, "..Yes Mama." She turned to Sonny and whispered, "You done?"

Sonny swallowed the last fork of salad and said, "Yeah." They then excused themselves and kept their plates in the kitchen. Before leaving the kitchen, Maddy asked, "Wanna go to my room?"

"Uh... Sure."

Maddy took her hand, lead her out of the kitchen, announced where they'd be and lead her upstairs before her parents could say anything; Sonny silently followed with an anxious mind.

Sonny sat down on her bed and remarked, "Wow... It's very pink in here." after Maddy closed the door behind them.

Maddy sat with her legs zig-zagged to her left. "Yeah. It's a pretty color," she hastily responded before apologizing. "I'm very sorry for the way my parents behaved. It was so awkward and mean."

"No, it's fine. The dinner was bound to happen sometime soon." She held herself up with a flat palm and perpendicular arm on the bed.

"Yeah, but later. Not now!!!" she said fuming.

"Dude, relax. It's fine," Teddy assured with a smile.

"But we don't know each other yet! So meeting them before we actually decide whether this a casual fling or a long time thing, applies this HUGE pressure on our relationship."

Those words pushed Sonny off the pedestal her dialogue of defending Maddy had borne. She softly said, "I... thought we had genuine feelings for each other..."

"Yeah! We do! I mean ...I know I  have genuine feelings for you... Do you?"

"Of course! So then.. why is this being a casual thing an option?"

"I-" she sighed, her eyebrows fell. "I don't know. It just came out of my mouth."

"Are you.. sure... it's not what you were, I don't know, subconsciously thinking?" she asked, every word falling delicately off her tongue like petals but pricking the heart like the thorns of a rose.

Her forehead relaxed. "I promise, it was just a slip of tongue. What I was basically saying is that we don't know if we're compatible enough for a long-term relationship, we don't know if we can handle each other. We don't know each other!"

"But we do know each other, right?" Sonny's words made Maddy's wandering, mad eyes focus on the girl she liked. "You know about me, my friends and now, almost everything about my family and our trauma that BB wouldn't have been able to dig up. Isn't that enough to... I don't know, give you a heads-up about what you're gonna get into if we date?"