Chapter 42: Silences and Screams

"You have to give me a fair chance though. You have to forget everything you thought up for complete and brutal honesty."

Sonny sighed. God, help me... She pressed the sarcasm down and responded with anger still vibrating in her voice, "...Done. You have a clean slate."

Maddy gulped and started with the easier story. "So, about the police station visit. Yesterday evening, like almost an hour after you walked me home from the café, I got a call from the police station. They asked me to come down and identify someone. So, my mom took me and it turned out that a guy I met at McKay's party before school started, confessed that he's the one who hurt me. I obviously said that it was not him and that it was Nate.

They asked if I was sure, I said obviously because we were talking and I'd made him mad. So I'm sure it couldn't have been anyone else. They asked me over and over whether I was sure. At one point, I asked them why they didn't believe me and they said that someone had come up as a witness. I asked who, they said they couldn't tell me. After a while, we went back home. That's everything that happened at the station."

Sonny actually listened to her, but she didn't trust Maddy fully. I should get all this verified by Detective Lee Anne. With a thoughtful expression and irritated tone on, she asked, "Who's the guy who confessed?"

"Tyler Clarkson. I don't like him or anything, I don't know him. I didn't even know his name till the detective told me!"

"Okay... I've never heard of him." I should get him sorted out.

"Me neither. I just met him at McKay's party and had sex with him in the pool to make Nate jealous because we were on a break."

She brought her hands to her face and rubbed her eyes, groaning, "Dear God..."

"What? I'm being honest," Maddy exclaimed defensively.

"Yeah but sometimes the truth hurts and I'm just hurting," Sonny said, pulling her hands from her face.

"Nothing I can do about that," she said and crossed her hands around her chest. Why the fuck did I say that?? Like that too!?!

Sonny looked up with tired eyes that glowed confusion. Does she want me to forgive her or does she want to end us? .....Fuck it, I promised I'd let her explain herself. "Okay. ...What else do you have to tell me?"

Maddy's nails started digging into her back, she couldn't stall. Her Teddy would never look at her again if she fucked this up. The fact she's even giving me a shot at redemption is a big fucking deal. 

She took a deep breath and said, "So everything that I told you that happened that last Friday with Nate, at the motel, is true. Except one thing. ...After the last fight we had, I didn't immediately storm out after we... finished screaming each other's ears off.

I... cried and sat down on the floor instead... I couldn't do anything else because he was the only future I knew at the time. I didn't know what I'd do other than go home, cry and text him 'sorry' the next day. I would have done that no matter how embarrassing it was. But I didn't because after everything he sat down behind me and tried to make up by hugging me from behind and kissing my back. Then he said, "The best part of all this is that you act like you're the most innocent and non-toxic person ever."

Then to explain himself he was like, well you'll never have a good person love you for long because you're just that evil. But I can love you, because we're alike. We're perfect for each other as we are, no need to change for the better and blah blah blah.

The absolute audacity... Like, what did he actually think when he said that?"

Sonny shrugged and shook her head. Her heart was beginning to have the softer siblings of anger, fear and suspicion.