Chapter 35: The Pond

Maddy bent over the clear water while Teddy took out the blanket from the cover Sam had given them. She unfolded it and dropped her bag and herself onto it. She laid down and stared at the mildly clouded sky when Maddy asked, sitting on her knees in her pink crop top and bejewled denim shorts, "Is the water safe?"

"Yup."

"Are there any fish?"

"Guppies, a bunch of tiny fish and these tiny harmless snails."

"What are guppies?"

"Tiny ass, almost invisible fish."

"Oh. Oh yeah, I can see them! They shine a bit right?"

"Yeah. That's them."

Maddy noticed the lifelessness of Teddy voice. She got up walked over to Teddy whose legs in grey jeans stretched beyond the hems of the red and cream blanket. Maddy sat on the blanket with her legs stretching beyond its ends as she got support by pushing her left forearm on her lover's thighs, a little above the knees.

"What happened?"

"Nothing. Why'd you ask?"

"Because you sound sad. So, tell me what's bothering you."

"It's nothing! "

"Obviously it's something. ...You know you can trust me, right?"

If I don't tell her now, she'll be offended. I've got to be honest, start with the questions. *Kaathollane karthaave. "......Why did Nate come to your house?"

Fuck! "How the hell am I supposed to know?" she responded, getting defensive.

"Because he's your ex?" Teddy asked, her voice was calm when behind the thin mask she was panicking about the truth Maddy could reveal. The discussion she had with her parents and brother had a knife between the folds of her love handles since the Friday night.

"I'm well aware about the possibilities of her lying and breaking my heart. I know the harm in loving her blindly! But I don't care! I can't bear to feel lonely and crave for love anymore, I can't lie to myself anymore! You guys don't love me the way I love you...

Her mother fell down to her seat and started crying. Everyone took a break; the siblings plopped down on the vintage cream couch and their father slowly dropped onto the matching chair opposite them. Sonny crawled from the couch to the chair on which her mom buried her face in her hands and sobbed softly to keep Becca asleep.

Sonny stood on her knees and wrapped her arms around her mom's neck, Gina cried into her daughter's shoulder. "Mamma, you guys don't love me the way I love you and that's not your fault... This is the way I feel and you can't cry about it Amma. Please..."

Those words made her pulled back her sobs. Through the tears that remained after the dam had closed, Gina said, "I know you're growing up, I know you have needs that we can't fulfill... but I can't be on the edge of losing one of you again. I just can't." She left her daughter's hold to look up at her husband and first born. Sonia sat at her mother's feet. "I've already worried myself into a cardiac arrest all the times the bad shit happened to all of you boys. I can't "almost" lose you and Becca too... I can't live through it, I can't go to church again and pour my heart out again for nobody to hear. I can't."

The father and children looked at each other and then to Gina. Sam said, "...I understand what you're saying Amma, but we can't tell her to not love Maddy. She has to get through hell to find... the last piece of her heaven. And it is our responsibility as her family to protect her and we'll do that!"