Chapter 44: Puzzles

Her besties came to check up on her after she came back from the station, but she had holed up in her room. She locked herself in and they tried to talk her into leaving the room. They left instead on receiving a year's stock of verbal abuse.

She tossed and turned through Saturday night and saw the sun rise on Sunday. Only a few hours ago was she fervently texting Sonny's best friends trying to check up on Sonny. Maddy, from her under her blanket fortress, left dozens of calls for Sonny. They were purposely missed as she sat down with her lawyer, Maddy found out later. She kept texting her Teddy after the missed calls and out of desperation began the chats with Melissa, Tony and the lot. She asked them questions like "How is she?" "What did the lawyer say" "what does she think of me now" "do you think she'll forgive me"

They answered her in less than 10 words, one text for every 15 of hers. They had pity for Maddy but their hands were tied by the bond they had with Sonny. Maddy only stopped texting Sonny when Joel let it slip that she had unsaved Maddy's number and blocked her.

Out of anger, she tossed her phone out of her fortress and on the floor. She pulled her puzzle back out and started rearranging the pieces in all the ways that made sense to her. She tilted the board in a multitude of ways to get different angles as she rested in her castle in the fetal position. She refused to have the dinner her mother brought her as she worked her mind and rested her body like a dragon, ready to break out of hell and drag heaven down to her.

The second she peeked out of the blanket Sunday morning, she reached for her phone. She checked for any reply from the people who were trying to care less about her. Nothing from them. Maddy then cleared the useless notifications she had, messages from friends who cared and updates from apps. There was one from Spotify and it reminded her of something.

The mixtape!!!

She dismantled her palace and turned her bedroom inside out searching for the cassette.

Where. the fuck. IS IT?!?!

Seconds later there was a knock on the door. Sonia asked, "Are you ok, mija?!"

"Yeah Mama. Just... searching for something." She dropped the basket of clothes in her hands and stopped for a breath.

"Do you need help?"

"No. It's, uh.. not so important." She sniffled.

"Are you sure?" she asked, reaching for the knob. "Can I come in?"

"NO!" Maddy yelled and jumped from the opposite side of her room to the door. She fell against the door.

Mrs. Perez took a step away from the door. "A-are you sure? I can help," she said, right hand clutching her Bible tightly against her chest. 

"No, no. I'm fine. Don't you have to go to church?"

"Yeah, but God wouldn't mind if I stayed back to be with my daughter."

"No... It's fine- I'm fine."

Sonia took a step forward and held her left hand to the door in a futile attempt to hold her daughter. "...*Estás segura?"

"Yes. Go to church Mama."

"Ok... **Te amo cariño."

From behind the door, Maddy whispered, "***Yo también te amo..."

After the sound of Sonia's footsteps receded Maddy came to the conclusion that she must've left the mixtape in Daniel's house in the chaos of everything and that she needed to immediately go to his place.

I can't catch a ride with Mama, she'll wig out. Can't ask Cassie or BB, they're definitely still mad at me. I'll have to walk.

Fuck...