Chapter Seventy-Two

Mason was the one that drove Ivy and Harry home. Griffin had stayed behind to deal with Cat. Ivy was staring out the tinted window, watching the city pass them by. It was a typical Saturday night, the streets crowded with people making mistakes and having fun.

Harry's hand reached across and took hers. She looked over at him as he placed a kiss to the back of it. They didn't say anything, not wanting to speak in front of anyone. Mason was trustworthy, but this was a sensitive topic.

When they finally got home, they went up to their bedroom, finding themselves in the walk-in closet.

"What are you thinking?" He asked, throwing his tux jacket on the back of a chair.

Ivy considered her answer before speaking. "I think he's very good at hiding in plain sight."

"So, you didn't buy it?"

"No." Her dress fell to the floor, "He was almost too normal."

Ivy felt her husband at her back, his hands came in front, holding the delicate chain of her necklace, her ring dangling from it. She gathered up her hair and waited for him to clasp it around her neck. The metal was cold as it hit her bare skin.

"There's something else." Harry noted, reading her like a book.

Pulling on her silk nightie, she said, "I think he might actually care for her." Ivy remembered the look on his face when Peters was trying to flirt with Cara. "As much as he can, at least."

"That could work in our favor."

"Maybe."

Honestly, Ivy wasn't so sure about that. When dealing in revenge, love was often never enough. And when that love was built on lies, the foundation was volatile, not withstanding the rocky path of retribution.

And Ivy knew her sister was not strong enough to deal with what was coming ahead of them.

Harry's phone rang on the end table, catching his attention. Picking it up, he said, "Yes?"

A second later, he said, "Okay, thank you." Then, when he hung up, Harry looked at her. "Your brother is here."

†††

"What do you mean you don't know where he is?" Ivy asked with a bite to her tone.

Her brother was in front of her, looking more ragged than ever before. Ivy was certain he hadn't had a good night's sleep in days. Not only that, but he had a little blood flaked on his sleeve.

Finn didn't meet her eyes as he said, "What do you think I mean?"

"Don't get testy with me, Finn." She told him sternly, "Now, tell me what exactly happened tonight."

He closed his eyes and exhaled heavily. A moment later, he began. "I had a plan. We were meeting to discuss some business privately. When I got there, he was waiting for me with a gun."

"How did he know?" She asked.

"His fucking spies are everywhere." Finn spat out, "Half our people are only loyal to him. Doesn't matter if I took over peacefully or not, they never would have respected me. The problem is, I don't know all of them."

Ivy raised an eyebrow at that. "You don't know all of them?"

Finn shook his head, clicking his jaw. "Since he took over for grandad, he's added too many new men to his roster. All the legacy families know what it's like. It's ingrained in them to accept the change of leadership eventually, but the new ones have been taught the opposite. Dad's trained them to only trust him. I realize now that he had purposely kept some close to me in order to fool me."