Chapter Thirty-Nine

This is the third chapter in a triple update. Make sure to read Chapters 37 & 38 first. Enjoy!

"I can't fucking believe this." Finn muttered in the car. "She was dating Tai Hayashi of all people? The guy's a maniac."

Ivy couldn't believe it herself, but the way Astrid had spoken about the Hayashi heir it was clear he was an entirely different person with her. Which honestly was not particularly comforting. How could Ivy know if her friend hadn't fallen for some kind of trick?

It didn't help that now he was missing. For a few days now, she has tried to get ahold of him, but nothing was working. She couldn't go to his family, of course, and had felt anxious about telling Ivy about what was going on.

She couldn't blame Astrid for not telling her in the first place. No way in hell would Ivy had reacted calmly to the news of her best friend dating Tai fucking Hayashi. Willow had actually laughed at first, thinking it was a joke.

Willow had taken Astrid home while Ivy went to tell Finn. Now, they were both on their way to Harry's office. He had told her he would be working late, so she knew he was there. With Harry meeting Tai and Tai's agreement to search the tunnels under Blossom Street, she knew Harry needed to know he had gone missing. There was a very good chance it was because of this.

Ivy didn't tell Astrid that Harry and Tai had had a meeting. She didn't know how much Astrid knew about everything. If he told her anything. She swore on her life they rarely talked about those things, but Ivy was being cautious. She trusted her friend, but this was major news that couldn't be taken lightly.

"People might say the same about us." Ivy said as they exited the car.

She scanned her key card at the door. Harry had made sure to give her clearance to his floor and office. She was technically a board member now since they were married. This was part her business.

Finn gave her side eye, but didn't say anything. He hadn't taken the news lightly, and wasn't pleased when Ivy told him that Harry had met with Tai last week.

They didn't say much once they entered, silence ringing in the elevator awkwardly. They had both changed out of their work clothes, since there had been blood on them. Finn couldn't hide the bruise on his cheek, but Ivy had brushed her hair over her temple and put on a pair of large sunglasses to try and hide her injury. Harry was going to see it, of course, but no one else needed to.

Fuck, he was going to flip out.

She groaned internally at the headache that would be. Her husband was already fiercely protective of her, hiding things from her in some ill attempt to keep her safe, and this wouldn't do any favors for her case.

The elevator dinged open, white marble floors sparkling clean, and large glass windows showing the view from outside. They walked down the hall towards his office, her card getting them through the next door where Harry's assistant was sitting at her desk.

"Allie?" Her brother froze at the door.

The young woman was frozen on the spot, staring at Finn in shock.

"Do you two know each other?" Ivy asked after a few beats of silence.

She looked between the assistant and her brother.

Finn gathers himself first, "Uh, Ivy, this is Allison. A... friend of mine."

Allison tucked a long strand of her blonde hair behind her ear, "It's nice to see you again, Finn."

"You quit the library?" He asked.

That's when it clicked to Ivy that this was the ex Finn had dumped recently. The library girl.