Chapter One Hundred and Ten

Finn smelled burning wood all around him. He knew that he had made it out of the conference room and into the small hallway before the explosives went off. He knew he was still alive. He knew that his father was dead.

But he also knew he was buried under debris and there was fire burning around him. Adrenaline was flowing through his veins, keeping him awake, but he could feel the flesh of his back shoulder blade burning, shooting pain up his neck and to his left ear. Somehow the rest of him had been saved. He felt no other injuries besides his face from the fight. No broken bones, no foreign objects piercing his body from the blast.

The main issue he had was that he was trapped under the rubble and had only a little time before the fire reached him. Finn tested his movements, feeling the weight on top of him. His hands dug into the broken glass on the ground as he felt a large beam lying across his back. If he could get that off, then he could easily get free.

How was he supposed to get it off, though? He was in an awkward position, not a lot of leverage at his disposal. Finn looked over his shoulder, wincing at the burns on his neck. The skin felt raw and burned hot at the slightest touch or movement.

Finn breathed a steady breath through his nose, swallowing down the nausea and refocused. The beam was long, the bottom wedged between the frame of the broken windows and a large cement rock the had fallen from the ceiling. He couldn't tell where it ended, though, hidden by the pile of junk on top of him. There were a few holes providing light for him to see around him, provided most by the pockets of fire that were engulfing the area.

He tried again to lift his upper body, but found the beam unmovable. He muttered a curse and kicked out his leg, freeing part of his bottom half. There was little hope for it to actually help his situation, but it was something to do while he tried to formulate a plan. Abby would kill him if he let himself die after everything.

Fuck, Abby.

There was a chance that she hadn't survived that explosion at the warehouse. His father had known exactly where he would send his people, and knew that she would be there. It wasn't just for show or to make a statement. He didn't want her in Finn's life. He thought she was a distraction, a pathetic woman just like his mother had been for him.

There might have been some truth to Cillian Malone's plan. Maybe he had wanted to take over Queenstown with Finn, but there was no way in hell he would allow his son to fall in love. So, he took her out of the picture.

No. No, he didn't know that. Abby could be alive. She could have gotten out of there in time. Finn couldn't let himself fall into that rabbit hole now. Not when his life was still in danger.

Finn reached forward and started to push. There was a large cement slab directly above his head, only being held up by the same beam that was holding Finn down. In fact, the only reason it hadn't crushed him was because of that same beam that he had been cursing for a few minutes now.

With one hand, it was difficult to move, but eventually he got it to fall onto its other side, completely clearing his line of sight. Unfortunately, it only showed him just how much the fire had spread since he had come to.

Smoke billowed into his face, causing him to cough loudly. Eyes watering, he pulled up his shirt to cover his mouth and nose. Smoke inhalation was far too embarrassing for him to die from.

With a little more space, he was able to slowly dig himself out of the debris, but that damn metal beam kept him pinned in place, unable to truly get free. Nothing he moved helped the matter either. Finally, he was able to see the the top part of the beam had been blown through the opposing wall, causing the entire cement structure to topple on top of it. Thousands of pounds of ripped up building were keeping the beam sturdily in place.