Chapter Twenty-Seven

When her phone rang, she almost expected it to be Harry again. He had been more protective now that they were married, and especially after the bullshit they dealt with that night. She understood why. Her life was in danger - as it quite honestly always was - and being as careful as possible was the smartest choice.

That didn't mean she didn't have to like it. She felt as if she were in a cage, to no fault of Harry's. He was just trying to protect her.

An unknown number flashed across her screen. She frowned, hesitating, but picked up after the third ring.

"Yes?"

She knew before she heard his voice, the hair on her arms standing on end.

"Ivy."

Silence.

"God, I've missed you so much."

His voice sounded strangled, as if he had finally found water in the endless desert. It had her heart rate increasing.

"That was quite the showing over the weekend." She replied, keeping her voice as void of emotion as possible. "A fire, a theft, and a murder."

"We might have gone a little overboard."

"We?"

"But I think it's understandable after what you did." He added, not addressing her question.

"We had nothing to do with the fire-"

"I'm not talking about the fire, Ivy." He cut her off, "I didn't think you would go through with it."

"With what?"

"That farce of a wedding."

Of course, she thought.

"So, you destroyed one of our homes, burglarized the other, and made the last completely unlivable."

Since she had him on the phone, finally, she might as well try to pry some answers out of him. It's not like she was in immediate danger. It was still daytime, the office was busy,  too many people around to do anything risky. She would just have to make sure she left before it emptied out.

"I needed to get my message across." Was all he said.

Her eyes narrowed, "And what exactly is that message?"

"That you belong to me." He told her, "And that little boyfriend of yours-"

"Husband." She corrected.

Loud silence stalled their conversation. He didn't like that. The thought made her smile to herself.

"Meet with me."

Ivy let out a humorless laugh, "Hard pass."

"I would never hurt you, Ivy."

"I'm sure." She said sarcastically.

"I wouldn't."

"How did you get into my apartment?" She questioned, turning her back to the window and walking to her desk.

"It's easy getting into anywhere as long as you look like you belong."

She tapped her desk with a manicured nail. "So, you... what, disguised yourself as a bellhop? Maybe security? You've probably been with the company for a while now, since this wasn't the first time. That's quite impressive." She complimented him carefully, waiting to hear how he would react to a little bit of admiration sent his way.

"This is why we belong to each other." His voice takes on a softness, "Why can't you see that? We think the same way, Ivy."

Ignoring his last comments, she added, "That must be quite hard when you're running a business too."