Chapter Thirty-Four

The snow was falling again.

Ivy's eyes caught on the white flakes dusting over the crown of Harry's hair. He turned to look back at her, making sure she was safely there, another flake landing on his eyelash. They were walking through an alleyway in Eastside territory. Dvorsky territory.

It had been a long time since she had been over here. The Malones weren't particularly welcome by the Dvorsky clan. There had been too many deaths between them.

But that was before the city had succumbed to war. Enemies were fast becoming reluctant allies, fighting against the same parasite threatening to take their city from them.

The docks were quiet this night, boats bobbing up and down as the waves flowed in and out. The water was pitch black, and she wondered how many bodies had been dumped there, cinderblocks tied to their ankles to carry them to bottom. Occasionally, they would wash up, the water soaked, decaying bodies of Dvorsky enemies. One was once a second cousin of Ivy's.

Her hand tightened on the Glock in her pocket. The giant wool coat was big enough to hide the outline of the gun - and the multiple knives strapped to her body. They wouldn't go in guns blazing, but they also wouldn't walk in weaponless.

It was just Harry and Ivy tonight. No guards. No Griffin. They were doing this alone.

Ivy could tell it was making Harry more on edge. He had tried to dissuade her once more from coming tonight, but Ivy put a stop to that. They were doing this together.

His shoulders were tense, and his eyes kept glancing to her, as if to assure himself that she was okay. Over and over again. Meeting hers, surveying their surroundings, back to hers.

"Harry, stop." She whispered lowly.

"What?" His voice was dark.

"I will be fine." She reached out and touched his hand, "They won't shoot first."

"They're not who I'm worried about." He muttered.

She knew this was about her stalker. It was impossible to tell if the mystery man knew where they were this moment, but both she and Harry knew better than to underestimate him. They've done that far too much.

"It's right up here." Harry said.

Her attention was caught by the loud pub music emerging from a closed door on the right. It was the bar Harry said was owned and operated by the Dvorsky's.

He took in a calming breath, then reached for the handle, entering first, blocking Ivy from any potential harm. It was small moments like these that had her heart beating for this man. A little too hard.

The place went silent as they walked in, the door shutting with a ring of a bell. The warmth was welcoming, but that was about the only thing. Hard eyes stared at them from all across the room. Men with large beards lined the bartop, drinking large pints of beer, while small groups congregated at tables. Some men had women sitting in their lap, drunken flirtations building between the couples. Other tables had groups of scowling faces eyeing them up and down. Hitmen.

But the table they were headed towards was in the back corner. A horseshoe shaped booth with all four Dvorsky siblings. There were a few others gathered around, both employees and what looked like lovers to others. A short broad shouldered man stood next to Saskie Dvorsky, his hand intimately kneading her shoulder.

That was new, Ivy thought to herself. She hadn't heard of the heir having a partner.

Harry tipped his chin, addressing the heir first, "Saskie."

"Styles." She greeted back. If she was surprised she didn't show it. Her eyes flickered to Ivy, "And Ivy Malone. What a pleasure."

"I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to speak with you at the wedding." Ivy said, nodding her head once, "It was all a little overwhelming." She flashed a wide smile.