Chapter Eighty-Eight

Ivy stood and moved silently towards the sound. She lifted the knife in her hand, moving close to the wall. Her feet made no sound as she creeped towards the footsteps. She couldn't hear anything else. There was no voices, no indication to how many were waking their way. It was definitely multiple, though.

Her heart pounded in her chest. Every instinct she had was screaming at her to run, to hide away like they had been doing, but Tai couldn't move. And she wouldn't leave him.

With her back pressed against the cold, wet wall, she watched the opening curve of the tunnel. There was a faint light bobbing in the distance, creating shadows on the walls. One outline of a head, two outlines, shoulders. They were getting closer.

Ivy took stock of herself. She had the hunting knife, a few smaller knives, a grenade on hand. The guns were near Tai, who had picked up the M16. Her body was aching, but she was pushing through. A few bad hits, though, and she would be down. She would need to be precise and unforgiving with her attacks.

Even then...

The best thing she could do was take them by surprise. Putting them on the defensive would be the only real option for her to survive. Depending on how many there were, she could take out a few and lead them in bulk to Tai for him to take care of with the rifle.

She inched forward, getting close to the curve. The footsteps became louder, the shadows bigger. A low voice mumbled something, but she couldn't hear. Looking back, she eyed the way they came from in case they were being surrounded, but nothing came from that end. Tai was sitting upright, leg elevated and gun pointing at the mouth of the tunnel she was at.

Blood rushed in her ears as she darted out from the corner and brought her knife to the neck of the one leading the charge. The barrel of a gun pressed to her temple, but she stilled. A drop of blood dripped down the neck where the point of the blade dug into the skin.

Green eyes stared back at her, Harry's face changing the instant he realized it was her. The gun dropped, and his hands went to cup her face, not caring that the blade was still pressed to his neck.

It took Ivy longer than him to process what was happening. Tension still wrecked her body, her head pounding just as hard as her heart. But he was there. It was really him. The rough pads of his thumbs brushed across her cheek, swiping over the bruise that had formed after Max had hit her. Shadows danced along the sharp angles of his face, his jaw clenching as he took her in. No words came from him, only a breath of relief, his eyes saying everything she needed to hear.

Her hand shook, the knife dropping to her side as all the strength in her arms left her. For that moment, she could give in to the fear. She could lean on him. Harry whispered her name and kissed her forehead, then her cheeks - softly on the bruised one - and lastly, a chaste one to her lips. Pulling back, he searched her body, hands checking for any damage.

"I'm okay." She heard herself say. It echoed in her head until everything came into focus. The people behind her husband - her brother, his lieutenant, Tatiana Dvorsky and her twin brothers, Griffin as his shoulders relax and relief hits him. Her eyes widen and she takes Harry's hand. "Come here. We need to get him to a doctor."

"Who?" He asked, but followed blindly.

Ivy turned the corner to see Tai tense, gun still aimed where she had disappeared, where she was standing now. He immediately pointed the gun down, frowning, sweat glistening along his brow. He looked even worse than when she had left him a minute ago.

Abigail rushed forward, pushing her rifle behind her and pulled out a small pack. Her brother's lieutenant was a talented field medic. If anyone could help him right now, Ivy trusted it was her.