Chapter Seventy-Five

The Hayashi that Harry was expecting was not the Hayashi that he got.

Before him stood Kazuo, Ren and Tai's father. The current head of the Hayashi clan. Kazuo was a relatively quiet man at big meetings. He was the type to sit back and watch, but that didn't mean he didn't lead the conversations. He was very much in charge as much as the loudest speaker at the table.

Out of everyone in the circle, Harry always considered the Hayashi's to be the most intimidating. The others were loud and broadcasted their moves, whereas Kazuo and his people kept information tight to their chest. It was one of the reasons why Harry was so distrustful of Tai when he first approached him, and Ren to this day.

Ivy stood silently beside Harry, taking everything in. Without needing to discuss their roles, they knew what needed to be done. In the presence of Kazuo, Harry would take the lead. He would do the speaking while Ivy stayed quiet. Her job would be to study the reactions of their adversary. They were both well aware of the type of man Kazuo was and what he thought of traditional male and female roles. It was the reason why Ren was having a harder time with her father.

There was no one else in the room with them. Harry had sent Griffin home, and his other men were standing outside guarding the place. The men Kazuo had brought were also dismissed. Harry wasn't surprised. The man was a living legend when it came to fighting. Even at his old age, Kazuo could take down an entire squadron of soldiers.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of this meeting?" Harry asked.

Kazuo tilted his head questioningly. After many seconds, he answered with a thick Japanese accent, "I am certain you've heard about my son."

"He's missing." Harry nodded once.

"We found him." Kazuo said, then added a beat later, "Or part of him, I must say."

Harry waited for him to continue.

"You see," he began to pace slowly, hands locked together behind his back. "A package was sent to us earlier this week. A box with his hand in it. Delivered to our doorstep. My daughter brought it to us and we confirmed it was his."

"That's good news." Harry told him, "It means-"

"I know what it means, boy." Kazuo interrupted, a hint of fury thrown their way. When Harry didn't react, the calm mask washed over Kazuo once more. "What I would like to know is why my daughter thought to show you first."

Silence.

Kazuo's lips spread into a thin smile. "Ah, you thought I didn't know? Just like how I'm not supposed to know of my son's ill choice in women?"

Ivy's hand twitched next to his, but neither of them reacted once again.

A soft laugh left Hayashi, sounding almost cruel. "How strange it is that two of my colleagues have fallen in the last few weeks? You've taken over for Patrick since his... timely arrest, and," his eyes shifted towards Ivy, "your brother has assumed his position as head of the Malone family after Cillian's disappearance. That added to the fact that the Dvorsky heir has been acting as boss for months now, and it looks like I've been outnumbered. It's just myself and Isabella Bianchi left, and that..." he laughed again, "Well, that is a whole other issue to be sorted."

"Do you have a point to this or...?" Harry questioned, placing his hands in his pockets casually.

Kazuo studied Harry for a long moment, likely wanting to make him squirm. This meeting had been planned to the T by Kazuo. It was why this was taking place days after Tai's severed hand had been delivered to him. He needed to gather his information, make sure he knew everything he could before confronting Harry.