Chapter Fifty-Four

Greta stared at him dumbly, but Angelo didn't look all that surprised. His brows were furrowed, and he was regarding Harry with suspicion rather than confusion. Harry let his bomb sink in. There wasn't a lot of finesse in his delivery, but then again, he wasn't sure there was a good way to tell them.

"I'm sorry," Greta shook her head, "what?"

"Your biological father is-"

"Yeah, I heard that." She snapped, "Why in the world would we believe that?"

"What reason would I have to lie about this?" He challenged her, "It's as easy as getting a blood sample to prove or disprove."

She refused to accept that answer, "And how would you even know this? Did your father tell you this?"

Harry remained calm, "No, there were eye witness accounts the day your... dad went missing. Your mother and Patrick were involved."

Greta let out an unamused laugh, "Now you're claiming my mother had something to do with his disappearance?"

Honestly, it probably did sound crazy, and he didn't blame her one bit for not taking his word. Angelo, on the other hand, was considering Harry's confession.

"Greta," Angelo saiid quietly, earning her attention, "why don't we just listen to him?"

She looked at her younger brother like he was just as crazy, "Are you really entertaining this?"

"It makes sense."

"How?" She cried out, arms raising up before she winced and slowly lowered them back to her side.

Angelo sighed, "We always wondered why dad distanced himself from us. Maybe this is the reason why."

Harry could see the battle raging in Greta's head. She didn't want it to be true. Of course, she didn't. It meant a lot of her life was a lie, but it also meant so much more.

"Fine." She gave in and demanded, "Tell us what you know."

He did.

The only detail he had left out was why Ivy's spider was following him around in the first place. Luckily, it was at the beginning of his story, so it was naturally buried by the overwhelming evidence she had found for them.

Harry could tell Greta's defenses were lowering as he went on. Angelo was stone faced the entire time, but Harry was almost certain that Angelo had been ready to hear this his whole life.

When he was finished, they sat in silence. Dev was sitting on the arm of his couch, directly next to Greta, watching her with care. Harry really didn't like that, but it wasn't the place to remind his friend just how off limits his new half-sister is. Griffin stood further away, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed.

Angelo glanced at his sister, then said, "Can we get a blood test? Compare it to yours? Just to make sure."

Harry nodded, "Of course. Astrid, the nurse I have coming over to check on you can do that."

Greta visibly swallowed, "If this is true, and it gets out..."

"We won't let that happen." Harry assured her, "At least not until we know we can control it."

"What if our mother finds out we know?" Angelo questioned.

Harry looked between them, "Angelo, you got your sister out of that house, and you've been hiding ever since. Am I safe to assume you want nothing to do with her?"

His face went hard, reminding Harry a little of himself, "This wasn't the first time something like this has happened. It's never been this bad, but it isn't new to us."