Chapter Ninety-Nine

Tai frowned at where the prosthetic met his leg. They had created a perfect mold for him, yet it still felt odd.

Astrid had warned him that it would take some time getting use to it, but nothing could prepare him for this feeling. He didn't even know how to explain it. This new thing connected to him was obviously not his leg, yet there it was, taking the place of where he still felt his lost limb.

His phantom pain was not as bad as some others experienced. Tai was lucky in reality, but there were still times he was uncomfortable, especially at night when they were laying in bed together, Astrid peacefully asleep, curled into his side. It wasn't an agonizing pain, but it was enough to keep him up for a few hours before his mind got too tired.

"Why don't you try standing?" The doctor said.

He was a younger man, professional, but had an easy-going manner about him. Right now, he was staring intently at the way the prosthetic fit on the nub of his thigh. He helped Tai up, holding onto his arm firmly in order to keep him from falling over before he gained his balance.

The sudden pressure on the area nearly made him collapse back onto the chair, but he quickly put most of his weight on his remaining good leg. Tai looked down and saw the mix of titanium, carbon fiber and resin formed into what looked essentially like a robot leg. There was a sneaker put on the foot, matched to his actual foot size, so he could buy matching pairs.

Tai slowly lifted the leg, watching as the knee joint bent slightly. When he dropped it back down, it straightened out, holding him up. Testing a little more weight on it, he let go of the doctor next to him. It was already more comfortable. Where his nub was under all the wraps and compression bands, he could feel himself sweating. The warmth down there was something he would have to get used to.

He went to take a step.

"Woah, hold on there." His doctor stopped him. "Let's take a seat and just see how it feels first."

He shook his head. "No, I want to walk."

"It's still a little early-"

"I don't care." Tai cut him off, giving him a look he knew wouldn't be denied. There were a few good things about having such a reputation as he.

The doctor didn't look happy, but eventually sighed and agreed, "Fine, but let me get the setup for it first. Sit, please."

Tai waited patiently while a rig with two railings on either side was set up for him. Finally, he was led over, limping slowly any time he had weight on the new leg. Hesitantly, he placed his hands on the railings and took his first step by himself.

†††

"Let's just order in tonight." Tai suggested as he sat down on the couch. He immediately went to massage just above where his prosthetic was. He had only gone from the doctors to the car and up to the penthouse, but it was already a little sore. It didn't help that he had probably overworked himself during the appointment.

"What are you thinking?" Astrid asked, sitting down next to him and pulling out her phone.

"Do you have any cravings?"

Astrid glanced at him with a slight smile. "Ramen sounds really good."

"Ramen it is then." He said simply.

"You know," Astrid starts, "we don't have to keep getting what I want-"

Tai cut her off, "Nope, you'll get every craving you desire."

"You're spoiling me."

"No, I'm spoiling you and our daughter." Tai corrected her.

Astrid rolled her eyes but let out a good-natured chuckle. "We don't know if it's a girl yet."