Chapter Seventy-Three

Cat stared at the clock on the wall, counting down the minutes until school was over. She was tired as hell from staying up all of Saturday and well into Sunday, and because she took a nap in the middle of the day, she had trouble sleeping last night. Her internal clock was all fucked up.

This morning, Cat spent all of breakfast trying to convince both CeCe and Griff to let her stay home, but to no avail. Griffin literally told her this was her punishment for sneaking into the art exhibit.

Even if she was the one that finally figured out who their enemy was. You'd think that deserved a reward, but no.

Finally, the bell rang and she jumped out of her seat. With her backpack slung over her shoulder, she weaved in and out of her classmates. Her bed was calling her name, especially now that Cat and CeCe were done with their project.

With a big yawn, Cat pushed on the door leading to outside. It was raining, of course, so she put her hood up and tightened the strings around her face. Griffin had gotten her this new jacket, and she was in love with it. It was heavy duty and perfect for nights out in Queenstown. The fabric didn't even make any noise, so she didn't need to worry about that if she was on a job.

Cat trudged through the streets, bypassing the busses. They wouldn't leave for another thirty minutes from campus. She could make it home faster by just watching. Griffin's place was only a thirty-five minute walk from school.

Her foot dipped into a small crater in the pavement filled with water. Her new boots protected her, though, so she kept going. When she turned the corner, she eased her pace, no longer in such a crowded area. The sidewalks were still busy as it always was in this city.

Slowing to a stop, Cat waited with a few others for the crosswalk to signal them through. Glancing around her she noted a man in a black trench coat and wide brimmed hat. He was purposely not looking at her.

Turning back around, Cat's muscles tensed. It wasn't weird that the man wasn't looking at her, but she knew when someone was purposely not looking at someone. When the light changed, Cat casually walked with the crowd across the street, then took an immediate right. The way she came from.

The man followed her path at a safe distance. A distance she would have kept from someone if she was following them.

The next street was a main fairway, so she took it. It was best to stay in a crowded place if she thought she was being followed. Speeding up a little, Cat moved through the crowd with precision. Her gait was still unassuming, but it would allow her to judge whether or not she actually was being followed - and if she was, she could see if the guy was good at his job or not.

Cat took a left, staying on the sidewalk. The block was large, surrounding an old cathedral that was more a tourist attraction than a church these days. At the next corner, she took another left, and casually looked over her shoulder.

He was still there, maybe a few feet farther than he was before, but his face was much more focused. They made eye contact for a split second.

With a pounding heart, Cat looked forward slowly, trying to play off an air of coolness. She didn't want him to know that she knew he was following her. Although, she might have fucked that up already. Griffin had made sure to chew her ass out for doing what she did at the gala. It was dangerous and reckless, and now she was paying the price.

There wasn't a chance in hell this wasn't related to that guy. The Russian one dating Ivy's sister. Somehow he had found her, probably due to him seeing her with Griffin. Really, all he had to do was find out where Griffin lived, then waited for her to come out. It was so easy.

Just as a crosswalk light was turning red, she sprinted across the street, a few horns honking at her. When her feet hit the curb, she didn't stop. Rain fell in a chaotic mess on her face, nearly blurring her vision. Thankfully, she knew the streets like the back of her hand.