121. 4 strings

Plot: watching Vinnie learn to play his bass guitar
—————————————————————————-

He thought no one was home. Finally, he could play without the others hearing him and feeling any sort of embarrassment...even though they all encourage him to keep trying.

So he took the opportunity. After plugging in his guitar to the amplifier, he sat down in the corner of the living room.

He started to play on the thick strings and the deep frequencies filled the room, echoing throughout the living room. And faintly, the music made its way up to your room.

You stopped what you were doing, listening to it. Smiling to yourself as that could only mean one thing.

That Vinnie had found an incentive to play.

You made your way downstairs into the room and Vinnie was startled at the sight of you. His heart starting to beat fast like he was caught.

He thought he was alone.

His arms fell to his sides as you walked towards him.

"You don't have to stop because I'm here." You told him.

He shrugged. "I should save my energy."

"You literally just started. C'mon, I wanna hear more." You tell him.

His facial expression lets you know that he's hesitant but you make sure to let him know that you won't judge.

He starts off with something he knows. His fingers seem to glide effortlessly across the neck of the white instrument while he strums. And although he knows he shouldn't technically play with a pick, he does anyway. You're not sure what song he's doing, but it sounds really good.

You laid there on the couch and listened while he did some more complicated notes and struggled a bit when tuning. Laughing when he cursed unknowingly. And taking in the new information that he told you as he was learning about it himself.

Vinnie finally wanted to play along to a song. A song that you hadn't heard before but nonetheless, it intrigued you.

He was doing so well. Like actually. Sure, he had a long way to go before he was proficient, but he had picked it up fast.

He seemed to match the song he was playing along to. It was interesting to see how a bass was different than an electric or acoustic. The lower notes added depth to the music. It gave you both a newfound appreciation for it.

 It gave you both a newfound appreciation for it