Chapter 43

Stefan tossed and turned unable to sleep. The nights were cold. And his mate wasn't beside him for him to feel any warmth. The warmth that he longed for the place beside Sebastian that he wanted to call home. It was just a dream. And that thought was enough to make him stay awake. All night long. Now, he rarely ever slept.

The thought of Sebastian was, as always, suffocating. Sometimes it was brutal, the feeling of loneliness, of unwanted made him loose his mind.

But the thought that Sebastian was involved in the coup destroyed him completely. There was no proof that he was involved but Stefan could think of all the ways Sebastian would be benefited from the coup. And the realisation made him feel betrayed and angry.

“Stefan?”

Blinking away from the ceiling he had been staring at again and sitting up Stefan met the Ruby eyes of his brother-in-law. It was already morning.

Evan had his hands in his pockets as he spoke to Stefan again. “I came to wake you up, but you are already awake?.”

Stefan discreetly checked the time from the clock on the wall. It was six past ten "Yeah it's been a while since I woke up, Do you need anything?" He asked Evan.

Evan shook his head. " No, I don't, join me for breakfast, Kevin told me that you will join him today. So get ready. He will be leaving soon"

Stefan nodded and watched as Evan walked out of his room.

He sighed. He need to get to work. A few new projects had been drafted. Evan and Devon had worked on the plans. And they were broken into at least a dozen tasks. Their Packs had always been known for hunts. Since earlier times they hunted on wild beasts. But with the growing population in their Pack. And the settlement of the new Packs brought forward the issue of the food resources. Sooner or later they will run of the wild beasts. They didn't have any source of income. Human currency was known among them but it was still a foreign concept.

Stefan hated to admit but they actually were lagging in terms of civilization.

There was only war. And bloodshed which had crippled them for so long.
Their beast nature prevented them from socializing with the human tribes. And even among different beast tribes. Inventions, medicinal knowledge, education were limited only to the Packs. And with their pride on the line. They didn't even have any particular Jobs. There were engineers and carpenters who specialised in construction and inventions. There were docters who specialised in medicinal herbs and treatments. Teachers with knowledge about their Clans and even the human world. Still they were not Jobs. Only hobbies. With no Jobs they didn't have salaries or income structure. But that didn't meant they were poor. They have Abundance of Gold, Silver ores. And different types of gems which can used to get by for generations. Still Stefan wished that they had a proper system to run the village they have longed for so much.

By the time Stefan went down. Kevin was already done with his breakfast and waiting for him. Stefan hastily munched on the fried eggs and meat salad separating the spinach and onions. As much as Evan glared at him, Stefan hated vegetables and he was a wolf no one can blame him.

"Stop glaring, I will try eating vegetables when I return okay? » he said to his grumpy brother-in-law.
Evan had been pestering him into eating all sorts of vegetables thesedays. Since the possibility of farming was discussed.

Evan nodded as he kissed his mate goodbye and watched the brothers go out for work.

Celine and Steven should reach anytime now, he sighed. These brothers they were too much paranoid. But still he felt loved. They were going for a meeting with the elders. Evan could only hope that everything goes well.