43 Not like that

Time seemed to pass so much faster when you had to take care of two little bundles of energy during pregnancy. There was hardly any time to look back, but that was probably a good thing. Because slowly but surely we were already approaching the end. I could hardly wait to hold both little girls in my arms and I knew that Roman felt the same way.

And fortunately, Carson and Henry were also enthusiastic about the prospect of having little sisters. But well, at least they were now. Who knows what it would be like once they were born. I hoped that my boys would not be too jealous when they had to share the attention of their parents. Fortunately, so far there was no sign of that. Maybe it was because there were two of them and they were used to it.

I sat down on the couch in the living room and watched Henry and Carson play with their little cars on the floor. It was cute how they made the noises. When I heard footsteps I looked up and couldn't help but smile. Even though I was really tired.

"Hey baby girl. I'm heading out to pick up Mom now. If the flight gets in on time and there's not too much traffic, we should be back here in two hours. Do you need anything before I head out?" asked Roman as he sat down next to me and gave me a kiss on the temple.

"Hmmm... no I think we have everything. Right guys? Who wants to draw a picture for Gram?" I replied as I put my hand on his thigh.

Pat would come to visit today and stay here until our twin girls were born. She was going to help us with the boys, the household, and getting ready for the move. And I couldn't be more grateful. Because I was really nervous about going into labor and then not having anyone to take care of the boys while we were at the hospital.

Henry and Carson jumped to their feet and rushed to us. Henry clung to Roman's leg while waiting for his daddy to pick him up. Carson, on the other hand, climbed onto the couch on his own and looked at me expectantly with his big brown eyes.

"I see you've got it all under control. All right. I love you. Call me if anything happens. And you two munchkins be good for Mama. Daddy loves you and will be back with Gram real soon." Roman said to us before first giving me and the girls each a kiss and then grabbing Carson and then Henry.

The twins squealed in delight as they squirmed in Roman's arms because he tickled them a little. That was really music to my ears. And it was kind of good that the girls were already used to a lot of noises this way.

Shortly after Roman left for the airport, they boys wanted a snack. This was really not surprising. Actually, they could always eat. They had probably picked that up from me, since I was really just snacking the whole pregnancy. Growing babies was hard work and I needed my food.

After we were done I went to the kitchen and cleaned up while the boys played with their cars again. Suddenly I felt a slight twinge. Carefully I put my hand on the spot. There it was again. A little stronger this time. I tried to breathe deeply. This was no reason to panic.

I went into the living room to get my phone and to send a message to Roman. Just in case it wasn't a false alarm. But I couldn't find my phone anywhere, although I was sure it was on the coffee table. I groaned, this wasn't the first time one of the boys had taken it, but I couldn't think of a more inconvenient moment.

"Henry? Carson? Wo ist Mama's Telefon?"  I asked. (Where's Mama's phone?)

"Weiß nicht..." said Henry, and Carson shrugged his shoulders. (Dunno..)

Okay... stay calm. I searched in the cushions of the couch and everywhere where the children could have been in the last minutes. But without success. And then there was the next twinge. Stronger again. This was really not good now. I needed to relax. I had time and Roman and Pat would be home soon. I had probably just overdone it.

"Mama macht euch einen Film an, okay? Ihr bleibt im Wohnzimmer und bewegt euch nicht von der Stelle. Verstanden? Ich bin gleich zurück." I said as I turned on the TV and turned on a movie that I knew would keep her busy for at least half an hour. (Mama's going to put on a movie for you guys, okay? You stay in the living room and don't move from the spot. Got it? I'll be right back.)

Then I went to the bathroom because I felt such a strong pressure. But as soon as I got there, I noticed a gush of warm liquid running down my legs. Damn it. Not now, I thought to myself. But that was as far as I got with these thoughts, because not even 3 seconds later I felt a massive contraction. No, no, no. Not like that. Slow down.

With everything I had I tried to stay calm and quiet. I didn't want the boys to hear anything. I turned on the water in the bathtub. Then I took off my pants and underwear to lie down in the water. Hopefully that would relax me a little. We had time. The two of them wouldn't get out that quickly. Or at least that was what I tried to tell myself. Because it had also taken a while with the boys. Besides, I certainly wouldn't do this without my Roman.