9 What's next?

"Alright, Mrs. Reigns. Welcome to your new home." Roman said to me after he unlocked the door to the most beautiful house I had ever seen and let me enter.

"Wow, this is so beautiful. You have great taste, Roman." I said as I let my eyes wander through the open living room. 

"Oh you bet I do, baby girl. But thanks. I hope you'll feel comfortable here." he replied with a wide grin that made his eyes sparkle.

"And there's no need to call me Mrs. Reigns. After all, it's not very real," I said, although I had to say that it sounded great. Embarrassed, I lowered my eyes and played with the ring on my finger. It was hard for me to believe that this was really true.

"It's necessary. It has to look as real as it can, DJ. Only this way we have a chance to convince the authorities. If you don't believe in it, they won't either," he explained to me.

"Alright. You're right. I'll try harder," I said. I felt a little guilty. After all, what he did for me was no small thing.

"Come with me. I'll show you your room. As soon as your things arrive, we can rearrange everything a bit. That way it will look more like the two of us. Just in case." Roman said as he led me down the hall.

"Thanks. What are we going to do next? Do you have a plan?" I wanted to know as I sat down on the bed in the guest room.

"Well... I did some research and the next thing I have to do is file an application, a petition, as your spouse with USCIS so they adjust your status. We'll pay the service fee and see what happens.

I will probably have to file an affidavit of support. Also, you may have to take a medical exam. But they will let us know when they process the application," he explained as he sat down next to me.

"That's a lot... but I see you've done your homework. After that, are you still sure it's a good idea? I don't want you to have to go through all this because of me. Oh, and just to be clear... any fees that come up, I'll pay. I don't want you to spend any more money. 

It was bad enough that you didn't let me contribute to the flights, the hotel or the ring. I feel bad about that. There must be something I can do for you." I replied. 

"You can. You can stop thinking about it. It's not a big deal. After all, it was my idea. But if you insist, you can take me out to dinner tonight." Roman said as he put an arm around my shoulders and rubbed my arm reassuringly.

"I can do that. Well, the second part. Don't be so sure about the first part. And you have to go back to work tomorrow, right? What am I doing here by myself during that time? I don't know anybody here. Oh... that reminds me... I have no idea what to tell Summer about where I went," I replied as I leaned against him and took a deep breath.

"We'll think of something. Say.... what do you think about accompanying me this week? That way you'll be busy and we can do the paperwork together without me having to keep calling to ask you for details. You can meet my friends and watch me work," he said.

Immediately I heard in his voice how enthusiastic he was about this idea. Who was I to deny him that? Besides, I had nothing to do anyway. And I could also look for a job while I was on the road with him.

"I'd really like to, Roman. But... what do you tell your friends who exactly I am?" I wanted to know when I looked at him.

"Hmm... I don't know yet, but I'll think of something. But we have to be careful. If my cousins get wind of this, they'll snitch on me to the family for sure." he replied.

"Scared of your mom, Reigns?" I joked.

"Oh you have no idea." he muttered with a shudder.