42 Helping Mama

Roman POV

I turned down the music as I waited in the pickup line for the boys to be taken to the car. I was so happy that they liked it in the day care and they made great progress in their development every day. Even though it was hard to see how fast they were growing up.

"Hi Daddy!" said Carson as the door opened and the daycare teacher helped the boys into the car and buckled them in.

"Hi my boys! How was your day?" I asked.

"Great." he replied.

"Daddy, where's Mama?" Henry wanted to know.

"Mama is at home resting for a bit. We can all have a snack together when we get home. How does that sound?" I explained to him as we headed off.

"Good, because I'm hungry!" said Carson with emphasis.

"You're always hungry." retorted his brother.

"Not true..." countered Carson.

"But true!" said Henry.

"Boys.... are you looking forward to the new house?" I asked to distract them from their discussion, because I knew that otherwise it would last all the way home.

"Uh yeah! Very!" said Henry, throwing his arms in the air.

Dani and I, with the help of my family, had found a new house pretty quickly, near my mom, that we both really liked. It just needed some renovations and fresh paint and stuff. But that all had time, because we had decided not to move until after the new babies were born. We wanted to keep this pregnancy as stress-free as possible. Especially later on.

Mom had a lot of fun supervising the construction work and keeping us updated. And it went without saying that she was very happy to have her grandchildren and us very close to her. And as Dani had said, it would be a great help and relief. From no children to two had been a challenge. And from two children to four was certainly an even bigger challenge. But we would get through it all together.

"All right. We'll go wash our hands and then we can go see where Mama is, okay? Quietly, please." I said to my sons as I got them both out of the car.

But of course quiet was not something you could expect from such little kids. I mean, they weren't even 3 years old yet. At least they tried their best.

Henry and Carson went into the bathroom and washed their hands just as I had asked them to do and then walked purposefully to our bedroom. I opened the door for them. Henry very carefully stuck his head in while Carson just got down on his knees and crawled inside.

"Mama!" Henry exclaimed when he saw that Dani was awake.

My beaming pregnant wife sat on the bed with her back deep in the pillows as she slowly stroked her steadily growing belly. Probably the little ones had another dance party.

"Da sind ja meine Lieblingsjungs! Kommt zu Mama!" said Dani. (There are my favorite boys! Come to Mama!)

Immediately, the two climbed onto the bed and snuggled up to their mother. Dani gave them hugs and kisses. Henry and Carson both giggled like crazy when she started tickling them. I couldn't help but laugh myself.

For a while we talked. The boys always had a lot of new things to share with us. I found it so interesting how they finished each other's sentences even though they were very different in character.

"I have a little surprise for you. Mama wants to make a video for the family and especially for Oma and Opa in Germany. I have cupcakes here and the filling will tell you and your grandparents and aunts and uncles what the babies in Mama's belly are. Do you guys want to help me? Is that a good idea?" Dani then said to get our sons' attention.

We knew what the twins were for a few weeks, but with the preparation for the new house and our work and the children we had not yet had the opportunity to tell everyone. Because we wanted to do something special this time.

Carson's and Henry's eyes lit up when they heard what their mother said, but that probably had more to do with them getting something sweet to eat.

I got out my phone and put the camera on video as Dani gave the boys the cupcakes.

"On the count of 3, take a bite and show Daddy the filling, okay? 1... 2... 3!" said Dani and I watched as the kids took a big bite. 

They didn't even have to show me the filling. Because it was all over their faces. Bright pink and so beautiful. The giggles from them both were so heartwarming and the joy was so genuine.

"Carson and Henry are going to be big brothers to two little princesses" I said as I still laughed at my boys' smudgy faces.